Buchla/Serge Collection?

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
BrianH

Buchla/Serge Collection?

Post by BrianH »

All you great Voltage Modular developers out there:

Just as CA/MRB developed replicas of Moog and Arp modules, someone is going to make some fairly serious volumes of currency if you will R&D a Buchla and/or or Serge inspired module collection I know that Buchla is very protective of its legacy so the interface may have to be e somewhat different from the Buchla worlds visual character. But the functionality is the main thing. Serge is long gone, however, and there have been no repercussions from the appearance of NYSTHI's Serge-like TKB keyboard/sequencer. Come to think of it, Buchla never reacted to NYSTHI's very Buchla-like modules.

So it appears that this is an open opportunity.

I for one would love to craft up a West Coast style modular from Serge/Buchla like components. And I am quite sure I am not alone.
SA2K

Re: Buchla/Serge Collection?

Post by SA2K »

BrianH wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 2:20 am All you great Voltage Modular developers out there:

Just as CA/MRB developed replicas of Moog and Arp modules, someone is going to make some fairly serious volumes of currency if you will R&D a Buchla and/or or Serge inspired module collection I know that Buchla is very protective of its legacy so the interface may have to be e somewhat different from the Buchla worlds visual character. But the functionality is the main thing. Serge is long gone, however, and there have been no repercussions from the appearance of NYSTHI's Serge-like TKB keyboard/sequencer. Come to think of it, Buchla never reacted to NYSTHI's very Buchla-like modules.

So it appears that this is an open opportunity.

I for one would love to craft up a West Coast style modular from Serge/Buchla like components. And I am quite sure I am not alone.
I'm with you on Buchla/Serge stuff for Voltage Modular. I also would love to have some sort of a Make Noise 0-Coast emulation and a nice Verbos Electronics Complex oscillator emulation. Those 2 modules have great analog grit and richness that I think Cherry Audio could emulate well. I'm slowly getting into all the Cherry products and already made a large handful of Dreamsynth soundscapes but I haven't dove into Voltage much yet partially due to processor limitations of my computer. Serge and Buchla are great for that classic Ian Boddy sound. Pretty exciting if they develop those.
utdgrant

Post by utdgrant »

There has already been a bit of discussion about creating a Buchla-style series of modules.

With my 'developer hat on', I can state categorically that there will be no Buchla / West Coast style modules from Dome Music Technologies. I only create modules which:

a. Fulfill a personal need / scratch a personal itch.
b. Don't already exist in the CA Store.

I already have the <Company Who Shall Not Be Named> V-Collection, including the Buchla Music Easel V. I just find the West Coast timbral evolutions to be, for want of a better expression, 'ugly' in nature. Wavefolding and FM just sound horrible to my ears, especially when the effects is swept. I much prefer the Subtractive approach of VCFs, phasers, flangers, etc.

That said, I agree that it probably would be a very lucrative endeavour for a developer willing to take the plunge.

Post by Centripidity »

utdgrant wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 8:54 am I already have the <Company Who Shall Not Be Named> V-Collection, including the Buchla Music Easel V. I just find the West Coast timbral evolutions to be, for want of a better expression, 'ugly' in nature. Wavefolding and FM just sound horrible to my ears, especially when the effects is swept. I much prefer the Subtractive approach of VCFs, phasers, flangers, etc.
I know little about Buchla and nothing about Serge but I'm currently finishing up an oscillator that uses a swept, additive approach and, although I quite like the sound, some of the noises it produces can most certainly be described as ugly. :D ;)
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

Imagine a world where all creative types said "I've had enough of inventing new stuff, I'm just going to copy what other people did decades ago".
drohnee

Post by drohnee »

There is room in this ecosystem for both new ideas and for emulations of classic / vintage gear. A set of modules similar to the CA/MRB Moog and ARP emulations but based on Serge or Buchla would be a nice addition, even if those modules appeal to a smaller group of users.
xones2358

Post by xones2358 »

Colin's /Adroit's AHR Generator invokes nice west-coast style Slope generator feelings.
https://store.cherryaudio.com/modules/ahr-generator
For complex oscillators, I found two MRB's Laboratory VCOs + Unfiltered Audio's Fusion/Indent to be very satisfying.
https://store.cherryaudio.com/bundles/u ... ion-bundle

If you are looking for an experience outside of VM and happen to own Reaktor, be sure not to miss:
https://www.native-instruments.com/de/r ... show/9275/
(Serge)
and
https://www.native-instruments.com/de/r ... how/11077/
(Buchla) = a more complete approach than the Arturia Easel.
resoluxe

Post by resoluxe »

For the last couple of months I've been working on recreating the Buchla Multiple Arbitrary Function Generator, or MARF for short. I've been fascinated by it for years, and I've also found it to be a really interesting project to sink my teeth into, and learn an awful lot on the way.

It's essentially 'feature complete', but I'm putting in a lot of testing before I release it into the wild, there's a lot of little quirks and combintations of functions to think about, as well as a few 'improvements' to make it more usable for us computer folk - hopefully I'll have it out in the next few months.

And because I seemingly haven't suffered enough - I thought I'd have a go at recreating other 'West Coast' Modules, so I'm alo working on a Lo pass Gate, Function generator, and Voltage Processor - I thinking of putting a 'West Coast Bundle' together, let me know what you think!
WCB.png
WCB.png (519.8 KiB) Viewed 2627 times
utdgrant

Post by utdgrant »

That looks awesome, Daniel. I think you'll sell a truckload of these! :)

Post by Steve W »

It looks pretty as well as functional. I am a big fan of sliders and am planning to make some myself.

If your goal in making the West Coast Bundle is to make money, I also think that it will draw a lot of interest because people these days in some forums seem to be clamoring for West Coast stuff.

Excellent undertaking and snazzy results!!

Return to “Voltage Modular”