What if?

ColinP

What if?

Post by ColinP »

What if you could control this kind of thing...

Now.png
Now.png (1.17 MiB) Viewed 1571 times

..with this kind of thing...

Soon.png
Soon.png (1.2 MiB) Viewed 1571 times

..and adjust the skinning using something like this?

CustomLook.png
CustomLook.png (131.35 KiB) Viewed 1571 times
utdgrant

Re: What if?

Post by utdgrant »

Very interesting. I have to say that I would always reach for Combinator 2 in Reason to 'put lipstick on a pig', hiding the ugly truth behind a slick and tidy front panel. However, for non-Reason users, I think it's a great idea.

Post by ColinP »

"Lipstick on a pig" isn't quite the phrase I'd use! :D

Rather than Combinator the closest thing is perhaps Patch Master on VCV Rack but I'm trying to push the idea into interesting terrain well beyond the basic remote control and skinning on show here. I'm still working on some of the bells and whistles so don't want to reveal too much yet.

The prototype works a treat. For me it's a game changer as it opens up VM to a whole new world where I can create stuff in an hour that would take several days or weeks of faffing about with VMD and Java. I've even abandoned some speculative future product ideas as there's no point in coding anything that can be rapidly put together using these tools.

It's taking slightly longer to develop than I'd hoped because I'm using it in practice quite a bit. But this has the advantage that it's getting easier and eaiser to use as I learn where the ergonomic bottlenecks are and tweak the design. I'm also working hard to make everything CPU efficient. Finally I'm trying to make the skinning work n a way that allows people with very limited graphics design skills to still produce polished results.
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

Is this intended as a tool (or a set of tools) for skinning, placing elements, etc. when designing modules? Or is it for end users to reorganize modular components/features/functions? Or is is something else?
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

Yeah, sorry to have been a little cryptic here Steve. This thread was intended as a sneak peek to wet people's appetite without giving too much away.

Unlike most developers I choose to announce things in advance but I have to feel confident that I can deliver or else I'll end up looking like a fool. There have been a number of unexpected hurdles to leap in the development but I solved a couple of difficult technical problems today so now feel that I can say more as the release suddenly got a lot closer.

It's definitely for end users rather than developers. It's a bundle called Adroit Custom that consists of four modules - Custom Panel, Custom Look, Custom IO and Custom Control.

Here's the draft product description (leaving out a few details)...

Adroit Custom lets you create your own user interface for a Voltage Modular patch.

In effect Custom allows you to design and build your own synth without you having to resort to any programming.

To do this you build a patch as usual from any modules you like, then you construct a customized panel, add elements such as knobs and buttons to the panel then map these so that they control things deep within your patch.

You can also add LEDs and gadgets called "scopes" to your panel to provide visual feedback.

All of the complexity and mess of the patch can be hidden off-screen leaving you with a streamlined interface showing just those elements that are important.

Your custom panel is constructed by butting together any number of Custom Panel modules.

A skinning module called Custom Look allows you to make your panel look totally unique.

Any input or output connections needed are managed by a Custom IO module.

FInally a Custom Control module enables you to morph between 16 different scenes (a scene consists of the settings of all the elements in your custom interface). Scene morphing can be under manual, sequenced or CV control.

The Custom Look, Custom IO and Custom Control modules connect invisibly to the Custom Panel modules so can be kept off-screen leaving your customized interface completely free-standing and unclutterd.

Most operations are selected using an easy to navigate menu system and the end result is stored in a standard Voltage Modular preset file so you can share your work with others by transferring a single file.
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

Thanks for sharing the details. Glad you feel comfortable enough with your progress to elaborate on your initial cryptic post. I look forward to reading more about Adroit Custom.
UrbanCyborg

Post by UrbanCyborg »

Sounds really interesting, Colin. Seems like one of those ideas that someone should have thought of long ago (and maybe someone did, but the development problems made it seem too hard). I just can't wait, I just can't wait, I just can't wait 'til Christmas.... :D

Reid
Cyberwerks Heavy Industries -- viewforum.php?f=76

Return to “Adroit Synthesis”