Hanging notes

ColinP

Hanging notes

Post by ColinP »

Demoing your wonderful new module. Really nice!

It reminds me a bit of my Novation Nova in both looks and sound.

However I'm having a problem with hanging notes in the patch shown below. Sending all notes off from MIDI Panic kills the hanging notes.

I think it's getting confused by interleaved MIDI messages when the same note is played more than once. Something you wouldn't get when playing it from a keyboard but easily encountered when sending data from multiple sequences. Perhaps it's not intended to be played like this?

I tried patching the same MIDI signal to the stock Poly Octave Oscillator and it copes OK.

ANALOGy5Test.png
ANALOGy5Test.png (1.03 MiB) Viewed 1629 times
Waverley Instruments

Re: Hanging notes

Post by Waverley Instruments »

Many thanks for the kind words Colin, and also for the heads-up on stuck notes. Will take a look at that!

All the best, -Rob @ WI

update: Just to confirm this should be fixed in a v1.1 update which we'll get out asap - sorry about that! :oops:
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

That's super news, Rob. I'm looking forward to putting it through its paces with three-part harmony / counterpoint.

I experimented with splitting the MIDI across three instances to get around the issue but there are too many knobs to twiddle to keep three of the beasts in sync.

One thing that would be a nice extra (apart from more polyphony) would be some simple visual feedback to help track what all those envelope generators are doing!
Waverley Instruments

Hi Colin, v1.1 update is now live. Interesting challenge with feedback on the envelopes and mod sources is that they're *per voice* so we'd need everything X5. The underlying design is really 5 mono synths X5, hence the name :D
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

Nice one Rob, that's fixed things. Thanks.

And new presets too!

What's the Generate Preset option do? I expected it to randomize parameters but it appears to just do an init.

Yeah I realise that about the 5 voices. It's kind of locked into the name even though 8 would be more useful for avoiding stealing and the CPU load looks like it would be feasible. Still we can't have everything and there's always the option of copying presets between instances to increase the polyphony providing the notes are split.

On the visual feedback I was thinking just a subtle LED for each of the 10 (!) envelopes that showed the summed level for all five voices. Then when doing sound design playing a single note one could see what was going on. Although when all five voices were going the leds would mostly be fully lit one might still get useful feedback - say from an attack that is so slow none of the voices ever light the LED.

Anyway, great job.
Waverley Instruments

Hi Colin, thanks for checking that - glad to hear it's fixed.
ColinP wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 10:29 pm What's the Generate Preset option do? I expected it to randomize parameters but it appears to just do an init.
The Generate Preset option takes groups of related parameters from existing presets and combines their "DNA". So you might get the modulations from one preset, the filter setup from another, the effects from another, and so on. The idea is that you stand a better chance of getting something usable than you would simply by randomising all the controls - which of course you can still do anyway using VM's right-click menu. Also, in theory, the Generate Preset results get more interesting the more presets you have. In a future update, the "gene pool" will also include anything in the User Presets folder.

Will certainly keep the feedback ideas in mind, but also very conscious of this being quite a CPU-intensive instrument, especially with all mod sources enabled. That's also partly why it's not called ANALOGy8 ;) I'm aware of some folks running into issues with multiple instances and we think a 5 voice is a sweet-spot of sorts for performance and having enough voices "most of the time".

Cheers, -Rob @ WI
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

The Generate Preset function now works as you describe but last night when I first updated it didn't do anything other than re-initialize. Maybe it needed a reboot to get going? Anyway, it works well.

Thanks again for a great module. :D

Return to “Waverley Instruments”