How to use midi encoders?

The Cherry Audio CA2600 is a powerful, self-contained duophonic synthesizer inspired by the groundbreaking ARP 2600 synthesizer.
arne

How to use midi encoders?

Post by arne »

Hey there,

I am testing the demo with my midi keyboard and it all works fine, but not the endless encoders. They seem to only move one bit in one direction but don't keep turning if I move them more than one bit. It seems to me the software expects absolute values, but the encoder only sends "+1" or "-1", but I don't know. If I assign a slider to a knob, I can turn it just fine, probably because it has a potentiometer and sends absolute values. I couldn't find any settings to adjust this, but encoder based knobs are fairly common, so there must be a way to set them up, right?

Cheers and thanks!
arne

Re: How to use midi encoders?

Post by arne »

Now I am wondering if my question is just very stupid or why there won't be any answer at all... Just to clarify, I am using the demo software to check the compatibility to my device and I am willing to buy this and more products if I can figure this out ;)
UrbanCyborg

Post by UrbanCyborg »

It's possible the reason you're not getting any answers is because none of us know. I don't, and so I hadn't answered you. Try asking the CA support people; they should know.

Reid
Cyberwerks Heavy Industries -- viewforum.php?f=76
utdgrant

Post by utdgrant »

arne wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:53 am I am testing the demo with my midi keyboard and it all works fine, but not the endless encoders.

I couldn't find any settings to adjust this, but encoder based knobs are fairly common, so there must be a way to set them up, right?
I take it you've read the CA2600 manual regarding MIDI CCs? I couldn't see anything in there which related to incremental controllers.

AFAIK, incremental controllers aren't part of the MIDI spec. Is there some configuration setting on your MIDI controller keyboard which allows you to turn the endless controllers into standard 'absolute' MIDI CCs? My Nektar Panorama T6 allows you to do this through the on-board menu.

Post by Steve W »

Have you contacted the manufacturer to see if they have a potentiometer emulation mode for the encoders? It seems to me that's what the hardware should handle--except for hardware makers that also make software and coordinate the two and design the software to handle encoders.
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

I have removed the suggestion and other details since.
Last edited by Steve W on Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arne

Post by arne »

Alright, thanks all for looking into it.

First, I thought this is an official support channel for this software, because it seemed cherry audio staff replied to other threads.

As for the encoders, now since it seems to me that if experienced users don't see a quick fix for this, I will just move on and pass on this project. Thought it might be fun to play with this, but not so engaged to put much energy into this.

Thanks anyway and cheers!
UrbanCyborg

Post by UrbanCyborg »

No, this isn't the official support venue, just a Forum for interested users, although a number of third-party developers (like myself) and some CA staffers haunt its ivied virtual halls. For the official support, go to https://cherryaudio.kayako.com/.

Reid
Cyberwerks Heavy Industries -- viewforum.php?f=76

Return to “CA2600 Synthesizer”