Pricing options for modules

AndyMac

Pricing options for modules

Post by AndyMac »

Two related questions:

1. Are there any plans to consider a lower minimum price that modules can be sold at?

2. If modules are down as "no to be sold individually" can you still set a price for them (so that the packs show the total) and can this be less than the current minimum of $10?

and a third question:

3. Are you considering allowing more than 2 free modules per developer?
Cherry Garcia
Site Admin

Re: Pricing options for modules

Post by Cherry Garcia »

Andy,

1. We do have costs. We've had major development costs, server costs and the like. We feel that developers will make great content and get rewarded for their content. Going free is easy, but not always the best choice. Think of all the free newspapers out there and then think of how they are staying afloat to do that. Your privacy is being actually what is being sold. Is a free module going to get the support that it needs? All of this takes time and money.

2. The minimum is $10 at this time.

3. We are not considering this right now. Many of our modules have demos...all of them could and your packages, especially are extremely affordable. VM Core + Electro has so many modules in the bundle that you are getting modules at a rate of less than $1/module, which is very affordable. The length of the demo does not have to be 7 days. You can lengthen your demos, if you'd like by editing the 'demo_length' setting in your main bundles.

Thanks for your questions. (=
AndyMac

Post by AndyMac »

Cherry, I completely understand this all (having been in a major global IT company before I retired to do my music --- and this). Thanks for the clear answer. I just thought it might be worth asking as things move forwards for you :-)

And in asking it, I don't think your pricing is wrong - in fact, I think that the current pricing (and, in fact, the overall pricing) model is completely reasonable, and the offers which you are continuing with make this really great value for money!

My specific question was reflecting *some* of my modules (not, by all means, all) which are actually quite simple in what they do, but which do really useful things.... it was more about an idea than the development effort (although it must be said that this is largely down to the awesomeness of the Development kit for Voltage Modular), and the bundles do give me a way to do these in a way that reflects this nicely.

I'm definitely looking forward to getting the sales analysis, as I will be moving from the "early bird" pricing at some point, and want to do it in a way that is fair but also reasonable both ways --- I must admit that I based some of my thinking around the pricing used on the HoRNeT VST audio plugins --- a combination of low prices with great quality, as it has made me consider buying plugins which *might* be useful or just look interesting rather than agonising over whether I *can* afford and justify them :-)
Cherry Garcia
Site Admin

Post by Cherry Garcia »

Thanks Andrew. I appreciate your feedback. I am also looking forward to the sales analysis. (= I also thank you and the other early adopters for being understanding that we don't have that yet.

I would definitely wait until that is finished until making changes. Alot of our print media ads haven't even started yet, but should be starting in the next few months. We are advertising via FB and Google Adwords, as well. And, we have some shows coming up, including Synthplex at the end of this month. In addition, we are fine-tuning VM and MD and working to get it dialed in.
Hrdsinc

Post by Hrdsinc »

Hello, I'd like to add the prices do seem a little high in some cases, some of the prices seem great like the octagon sequencer. It's not a case of me not being able to afford them, it's more a case of pricing yourself out in comparison to rivals. I work as consultant and I deal with pricing every day all day. My bigger concern is you can't attract established 3rd party developers because of it. Must be weird having all these people with business backgrounds turning up to harangue you :)

I wish you good luck with it, it's got huge potential, getting some more big name 3rd party people on board would put you above most competitors, some nice mutable instruments modules....

I've said my bit, I won't bang on and on about what I think, don't worry.

Return to “Module Designer”