simple question

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
ttop

simple question

Post by ttop »

Hello.

It's probably a dumb question but how do I move around in the rack with my mouse? I can use the x/y scrollbar and I can use up/down/left/right keys on my keyboard but I didn't figure out yet how to move around freely with my mouse. In other software environments I'm used to hold mid-mouse button but that doesn't seem to work in VM.

Another thing that makes navigation in VM a bit clunky to me is that the rack only seems to expand in size when I put a module to the border of the rack. Is there a way to make the rack bigger by default?

I tried out VM and I love it so far but I hope there are solutions to the 2 problems that I just mentioned because navigating and adding modules feels really clunky to me and kind of kills the fun.
ColinP

Re: simple question

Post by ColinP »

ttop wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:17 am It's probably a dumb question but how do I move around in the rack with my mouse?
mouse wheel = scroll up/down

SHIFT + mouse wheel = scroll left/right

CTRL (or ⌘) + mouse wheel = zoom in/out
ttop wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:17 am Another thing that makes navigation in VM a bit clunky to me is that the rack only seems to expand in size when I put a module to the border of the rack. Is there a way to make the rack bigger by default?
Yeah this annoys me too. You can add cabinets to expand vertically but to expand horizontally the only way seems to be to kludge it by zooming out then sticking a dummy module on the right side of the window.
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

Expression of personal workflow method removed.
Last edited by Steve W on Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

I only ever use the library for retrieving saved cabinets and only do that because you can't access them via the right-click menu.
huggermugger

Post by huggermugger »

ColinP wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:01 pm I only ever use the library for retrieving saved cabinets and only do that because you can't access them via the right-click menu.
if this isn't on the wishlist, it should be
utdgrant

Post by utdgrant »

Steve W wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:53 am Talking about clunky, one of the things that I never understood is why people have the library set up to open on the left side.
I have used it that way since day one, simply because it is the default.
I always start building patches from the left and learned very early in my use of VM that having the Library on the right is far more efficient. Every time I opened the Library on the left side, all of the modules shift right. This does not happen when the Library is set to open on the right.
Now that I know there's an option in the Settings menu, I'm going to change it to the RHS. Great tip, Steve! Thanks.

Post by Steve W »

utdgrant wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:47 pm Now that I know there's an option in the Settings menu, I'm going to change it to the RHS. Great tip, Steve! Thanks.
For all that you contribute to the community of VM users, I can't tell you how happy you have made me to be able to offer something of value to you.
ttop

Post by ttop »

ColinP wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:43 am mouse wheel = scroll up/down

SHIFT + mouse wheel = scroll left/right
Not ideal but it helps! Thanks.

Steve W wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:53 am
Talking about clunky, one of the things that I never understood is why people have the library set up to open on the left side.

I always start building patches from the left and learned very early in my use of VM that having the Library on the right is far more efficient. Every time I opened the Library on the left side, all of the modules shift right. This does not happen when the Library is set to open on the right.

Is it possible that no one else uses the right click method of inserting modules and just keeps the Library open all the time? Even so, I still don't see why the left-side is preferable. To me, that's clunky. Far more clunky and intrusive than using the keys and mouse to navigate within the VM rack.
Nice, I somehow overlooked that in the options. Much better!

I also noticed that you can scroll around in the rack if you hold the left mouse button pressed. The only downside is that you will select all modules that are in your path and have to unselect them with a second mouse click.
But it shows that the tech to implement 2D mouse scrolling is already there. So please Cherry Audio, if you read that, put 2D scrolling on the 3rd mouse button. Would be much appreciated!

Return to “Voltage Modular”