Pachinko

seal58

Pachinko

Post by seal58 »

I just experimented a bit with this kind of sequencer. It's really a nice toy that I'll add to my library.
During the tests I've got some ideas / feature requests:

- An input jack to ignite a CV knobs randomization.
- An output jack for a trigger pulse, when the sequencer starts a new series on pyramid's top knob.
- Trig out jack provides pulses with actual 23 percent probability. I'd like to get pulses with 50 percent or setable probability.
- A second output jack that delivers trigger pulses when first trigger output is just silent.

There's still a lot of usable space on the module's front. ;)

Roland
utdgrant

Re: Pachinko

Post by utdgrant »

Much as I'd like to take credit for Pachinko, that module was created by DMT Audio, not Dome Music Technologies.

Yes, it's a confusing situation, but Daniel M Townend has the best 'prior art' claim to those initials. :)

Post by seal58 »

Oh! :o
I assumed Dome Music Technologies had only changed their name to DMT Audio.
So I wonder, that there isn't a DMT Audio area in this forum.
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Post by cherryaudio Greg »

Hi,

I've created a forum for DMT Audio, and I'll move this post there.

Greg
seal58

Post by seal58 »

Great, thank you Greg.
BTW: Centripidity and Martin Dennis are also still missing in the forum.
Roland
resoluxe

Post by resoluxe »

Thanks for adding me to the forum, Greg - it's much appreciated.

Thanks for the suggestions, Roland - I've added some comments below:

- An input jack to ignite a CV knobs randomization. I've been using right-click -> Randomize Controls, but I can see how this would be useful, so I'll add this on to a future revision
- An output jack for a trigger pulse, when the sequencer starts a new series on pyramid's top knob. I agree, I'll add an 'End Of Sequence' output jack, as I was in need of this when playing around the other day
- Trig out jack provides pulses with actual 23 percent probability. I'd like to get pulses with 50 percent or setable probability. Trig. Out only triggers if a patricular nodes's knob value is above 50%, so if all are set to 0% then there will be no triggers, conversely if all are set to 100% then it will trigger on every step. As for a selectable probability, I can do this, but it would have to be a single knob affecting all nodes, otherwise I'd need another 36 knobs!
- A second output jack that delivers trigger pulses when first trigger output is just silent. A nice idea, however my aim with these modules is to give each one a single task that it does well, rather than trying to stuff lots of different features into it when another modules can do it just as well. In this case I think connecting the Trig out to a Boolean/Logic module with the clock as a second input, then using the XOR output would be better and more flexible
seal58

Post by seal58 »

Hi Daniel,

welcome to VM forum.
Thank you for your comments. To one thing I've got a question:
- Trig out jack provides pulses with actual 23 percent probability. I'd like to get pulses with 50 percent or setable probability. Trig. Out only triggers if a patricular nodes's knob value is above 50%
Is this node knob dependend on set CV values?

Roland
resoluxe

Post by resoluxe »

Hi Roland - yes it is, if the 'active' knob is at 12 o'clock position or futher clockwise, it will trigger the TRIG OUT.
seal58

Post by seal58 »

Ok. That's fine, Daniel.

Then I can influence probability by setting pitch high enough.
Now I'm ready to get this thing. :P

Roland
resoluxe

Post by resoluxe »

Hi everyone,

I've updated the Pachinko with a few improvements :)
  • Random button which randomises all the Node knobs to quantized values
  • Probability of each step (on a global level) can be modified using the DRIFT knob + input - 50% means Pachinko acts as normal, where as moving the knob left or right will cause the nodes to 'drift' towards the left or right side of the triangle. Setting this to 0% will mean the path always goes down the left hand side (with no randomness), and the same with 100% and the right hand side.
  • SOS (Start Of Sequence) Trigger - Sends out a trigger whenever the pattern goes back to the top node.
Thanks for the suggestions Roland, hope you enjoy them!

Thanks,

Daniel

Return to “DMT Audio”