MIDI File Player

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
Centripidity

Re: MIDI File Player

Post by Centripidity »

Further Update.

I've edited the Logic generated MIDI file in a hex editor and tried removing various meta events. It turns out that the culprit is the Key Signature. Neither Live nor Reaper seem to export that into a MIDI file but Logic does.

More specifically, the piece was in Gm (2 flats). When I edited one byte in the MIDI file to make it into Bm (2 sharps), it loaded fine. Superficially at least, it's looking like VM can't handle MIDI Key Signature meta events that use flats but is fine with sharps.

I tried going back into Logic and changing the Key Signature from Gm to G, exported the MIDI and it loaded into VM with no issue.
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

I have removed my praise and my efforts to help others understand and resolve this issue.
Last edited by Steve W on Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

I have removed my efforts to help others understand and resolve this issue.
Last edited by Steve W on Sun Apr 23, 2023 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Centripidity

Post by Centripidity »

Steve W wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:44 pm Note: Of course, its the Key Signature at issue, not the notes themselves. The following loads just fine:
Steve,

Thanks for taking the time to confirm this. It does look as though any key signature using flats rather than sharps is causing the problem. As you point out, it's not the notes just the declared key signature and that has no influence upon the playback so just changing the key signature before export will solve the problem with no significant consequences.

I have logged this problem with CA.

Peter
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

I have removed my efforts to help others understand and resolve this issue.

Return to “Voltage Modular”