Xingshi

huggermugger

Xingshi

Post by huggermugger »

Hi Hans, I'm excited for this new module, which can behave as a full synth voice. But I have some questions.

Manual refers to an EDIT ALL FRAMES button. I don't see anything labeled as such, but there's a button labeled KI that seems to edit all frames at once. Is this correct?

Manual makes no reference to the EDIT Nth button, which has to be turned on in order to edit Frames. Right?

When I edit Frames moving forward (click the Right Arrow) the previous frames remember their settings. But if I try to edit already-edited frames by stepping back and forth, I lose Frame settings, the previous frames take on the most recent settings. I'm not sure how the interaction between EDIT Nth, Left/Right arrows, Solo button and Current frame number is supposed to work, but I find it difficult to use Xingshi in the way it was intended - editing a series of frames one at a time to get a sequence of waveforms, then playing back the sequence in order by pressing a key.

Is there a video showing the operation of Xingshi?

One more thing, many controls don't have mouseover hints, which are really helpful for learning and using a module like this. :)
creart

Re: Xingshi

Post by creart »

Hey Huggermugger, sorry for the late response..
In the meantime the manual is updated..
The EDIT Nth button allows you to edit existing frames.. you do have to be careful though. If you have it switched on and use the PREVIOUS or NEXT buttons, settings of all controls can be copied to other frames…
So how you should operate it is:
EDIT Nth on, dial knob to set target frames, every 1 or 2 or 5 or whatever.. then dial something and make sure that you switch OFF EDIT Nth before going to a next frame…
I am currently editing Xingshi to get better feedback from switches and knobs and also the manual will be changed accordingly..
And thanks Chris for pointing to the videos, that hopefully explain some more..
I will add more videos with use cases shortly.
Hope that helps!
Cheers Hans
Request for Music
creart

Post by creart »

The KI button, Keyboard Input, should allow you to use a midi keyboard to set the Carrier Pitch of a frame. This way a sequence might be input a bit faster.
Further an update will come out this week, allowing to input notes from standard Edit, like -1C or 2D and input times like 1/16 or 2 or 2 bars.
I hope all of that will make Xingshi experience be better/nicer.
Request for Music
creart

Post by creart »

And so, to create a sequence - do NOT use the EDIT Nth button to start off with. Just use the PREVIOUS or NEXT buttons to switch frames and change any setting.
If you use a midi keyboard, switch KI on - that will switch SOLO on as well to listen to just that note. When you use the VM on screen keyboard you can also use the SOLO key alone.. that will sound that specific frame. When all settings are done, go next or previous and do settings there.
The upcoming update has improvements for all of this.

After inputting a full sequence the EDIT Nth button can be useful.
Say you have created a 16 step sequence and want to change MOD settings to change every 4th frame, switch on EDIT Nth, dial knob right to that to 4, so every 4th frame is edited. That depends on your selected frame number. If it was set at 1, then frames 1, 5, 9 etc will be edited. Now dial the MOD knob and sound will reflect that change..
If you now want to change the PAN of frames 2, 7, 12 and further, switch OFF the EDIT Nth first.
Go to frame 2. Now switch ON EDIT Nth again, dial the knob to 5 and change the PAN and any other setting..
Hope that helps…
Request for Music

Return to “Request for Music”