How to publish presets correctly as product?

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
seal58

How to publish presets correctly as product?

Post by seal58 »

First: This forum software is rather crazy. It is almost impossible to search for a topic on a logical way:
- If I let the machine search for "presets", it declares me, that a search is denied because the keyword is to simple. It also informs that the search key must not have more than 14 characters.
- If I let the machine search for "upload", it is the same.
- So I let it search for "upload presets". This key contains exactly 14 characters. Now I get all items that contain even "upload"! What the hell of shit is that?

Back to the topic.
During last year I attempted to publish example presets for my products several times, at least in December 2022. I packed the preset files into a ZIP folder and dragged it as media file into Nebula. When I admitted the pack, Danny sent me this:
Hi. These are not populating in VM for me. I can see the collection but no presets populate. I expect the presets contained in the zip require a folder. https://cherryaudio.kayako.com/article/ ... -or-bundle
I followed the link. Reading the article I've got some further questions.

1. The preset folder which should contain my created presets is meant to be
Windows: %appdata%\Voltage\Presets\User Presets\
On my PC it is C:\Users\%user%\AppData\Roaming\Voltage\Presets\User Presets\

2. I created a folder structure as recommended:
MyPackageName\myPresetfiles.voltagepreset
Then I packed that folder into a ZIP and dragged it in Nebular to the preset product.
When Voltage Modular has updated the catalogue, the files were stored to
C:\Users\%user%\AppData\Roaming\Voltage\Factory Presets\MyPackageName\MyPackageName\
In VM I could see the package and its content.

3. I'd like to get a clear folder hierarchy within VM too. There should be a structure like "Manufacturer Presets / Preset Pack xyz".
So I closed VM and deleted MyPackageName\MyPackageName\ at \Factory Presets\.
I extended my folder structure to MyManufacturerName\MyPackageName\myPresetfiles and put all this into the ZIP, called it MyManufacturerName and dragged it to Nebula.
When VM had updated the catalogue, it stored the presets to
C:\Users\%user%\AppData\Roaming\Voltage\Factory Presets\MyPackageName\MyManufacturerName\MyPackageName\
But in VM the package MyPackageName stays empty.

Within the actual 14 preset packages, that I've got from other manufacturers, there are only a few (for example Andrew Macaulay, M*4, Poohbear) with a hierarchic structure.
That shows that publishing presets is a pretty common problem for many other manufacturers, not only for me.

I would be very happy, when one of these few manufacturers could explain their way.

Roland
UrbanCyborg

Re: How to publish presets correctly as product?

Post by UrbanCyborg »

I, too, would really like an answer to this. I recently published my presets for the First Baker's Dozen bundle, and it was okayed, and I've gotten no complaints. I can't really tell where it actually installed, though. I believe the way I set it up was to create a .zip file directly from my own VM presets folder, which I set up to be as I wanted it to install for users. Whether or not this actually worked as I expected, I don't know. If anyone reading this installed those presets, please tell us where they installed for you. If it was in VM's Cyberwerks Heavy Industries folder, with two subdirectories, and the two Poly Voltage module presets appeared correctly under the [Module Presets] folder, then everything went right (fingers crossed).

Reid
Cyberwerks Heavy Industries -- viewforum.php?f=76
utdgrant

Post by utdgrant »

This thread in the VMD forum is definitely worth a read.

I still seem to have issues with creating Preset products but it's smoother now than when I started in development.

My tips are:

1. Use 7-zip or equivalent to create the ZIP file. NEVER use a Windows 'compressed folder'.

2. Always place the presets into a sub-folder within the ZIP file, never at the top level.

3. Don't rely on the 'Presets' tab listing the modules required. Here is a screenshot of the Blue Velvet Presets tab:
Presets List on Nebula.jpg
Presets List on Nebula.jpg (79.74 KiB) Viewed 970 times
Whereas this is what it looks like for The RAT Pack Bundle:
RAT Pack Preset Modules List.jpg
RAT Pack Preset Modules List.jpg (120.99 KiB) Viewed 970 times
I have no idea why there is a discrepancy. I just went ahead and put the Blue Velvet presets in for approval and it was accepted. <shrug>

Post by utdgrant »

utdgrant wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:31 pm This thread in the VMD forum is definitely worth a read.
Sorry, Roland. I hadn't realised that you'd already contributed to the thread I linked.

Creating Presets is still a bit of a black art, I'm afraid.

Post by utdgrant »

seal58 wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:32 pm First: This forum software is rather crazy. It is almost impossible to search for a topic on a logical way:
- If I let the machine search for "presets", it declares me, that a search is denied because the keyword is to simple. It also informs that the search key must not have more than 14 characters.
- If I let the machine search for "upload", it is the same.
- So I let it search for "upload presets". This key contains exactly 14 characters. Now I get all items that contain even "upload"! What the hell of shit is that?
I had a similar issue with the module search functionality in the store. Words in the description text are not included in the search!

The solution was to use Google, pointing to the CA store site.

You can do the same trick with the forum posts:
Google search of forum.jpg
Google search of forum.jpg (137.61 KiB) Viewed 960 times
Hope this helps.

(BTW Roland, your OP wasn't picked up because Google hadn't trawled the forums at the time I performed the search shown.)

Post by Steve W »

Cool Tip! TY!!!

midi:forums.cherryaudio.com
utdgrant

Post by utdgrant »

Steve W wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:10 pm Cool Tip! TY!!!

I can't take any credit for the tip. It was from a post by PoorFellow.

Post by seal58 »

Steve W wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:10 pm Cool Tip! TY!!!
Indeed a cool tip.
Thanks for all topic comments so far.

Hierarchic folder structure in VM library would make use of VM library more conveniant. But finally show must go on.
I need to publish my presets for for owners of my modules now.

Roland
(P.moon)

Return to “Voltage Modular”