Another Feature request

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
ColinP

Re: Another Feature request

Post by ColinP »

Oh, yes. I totally agree that in the event of CA closing down they should offline authorisation so that everyone can continue to use their and third-party software as is.

I was just trying to explain why I think providing offline authorisation now could actually bring about the demise of CA.
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

SA2K wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:17 am I still need offline licensing that can be activated offline for all owned modules because I figure for the type of investment people like me make in Voltage Modular modules that one would want long term use of the app/plugin after Cherry Audio folds some day.
utdgrant wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:06 am That's still a worry for me, too. :?

Here is SA2K's original thread about this topic.
SA2K wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:29 pm Well right on the cusp of when Cherry Audio plans to fold they should release some offline licensing capacity that doesn't require online access when re-installing everything. They can do something like let you download a license for each individual module you own based on purchase records. I have no idea when Cherry will close but I intend to buy more rack units and I already spent a bit over a good bit over a thousand on them.
ColinP wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:34 pm Oh, yes. I totally agree that in the event of CA closing down they should offline authorisation so that everyone can continue to use their and third-party software as is.
Finally I'm getting around to reading these comments. Very sobering. There are no guarantees. When the plug is pulled, collectively VM/CA customers could very well be out hundreds of thousands of dollars for their investment in soft music-making gear. Some could only be out under $100, others over $1000.
seal58

Post by seal58 »

Yes, it's off topic. But this important theme was already mentioned many times before. I'm very afraid that CA will not have enough time or will to provide an instant way for an everlasting license when their time has come.

I hope, my PC hardware will still be alive to use existing backups.
SA2K

Post by SA2K »

seal58 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:22 pm Yes, it's off topic. But this important theme was already mentioned many times before. I'm very afraid that CA will not have enough time or will to provide an instant way for an everlasting license when their time has come.

I hope, my PC hardware will still be alive to use existing backups.
I figure currently a whole OS HD backup is the simplest current way to allow re-authorization without login by just restoring the HD in the future if any of the "online only" companies fold. You'd have to hold your backup preciously to keep the installs. I'm looking forward to Time Machine on the Cloud but I think even Time Machine isn't guaranteed to function as much as the app called Super Duper! by Shirt Pocket software. That one is supposed allow full backup and recovery of a modern macOS. It's good for Mac I think.

Return to “Voltage Modular”