MIDIMONO/+LITE Multitimbral Patch Template

Steve W

MIDIMONO/+LITE Multitimbral Patch Template

Post by Steve W »

When Waverley Instruments came out with the MIDIMONO FUN BUNDLE I was impressed with the instrument and accompanying support utilities for a number of reasons. One was the potential to do multitimbral performances without resorting to Plug-in Host modules. Another was the flexible design of MIDIMONO including built-in effects, including one based on the AULDELAY module.

I thought I'd share a template here in case other VM users might be interested in how the bundle could be used to make a 16 channel multi-timbral synth using 16 instances of a monosynth. Originally I used the larger MIDIMONO module. For the sake of being visible in this post, I used the smaller version MIDIMONO LITE.
Attachments
MIDISPLITCH - 003a.png
MIDISPLITCH - 003a.png (1.18 MiB) Viewed 1565 times
Waverley Instruments

Re: MIDIMONO/+LITE Multitimbral Patch Template

Post by Waverley Instruments »

Hi Steve,

When you get a chance, please could you try your setup with Build #7 and let us know how you get on?

Fingers crossed!

Many thanks, -Rob
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

Updating to give a quick test now. Sec.

MIDISPLITCH Build 7 + MIDIMONO LITE Build 13 work together as channelized from usb -> host midi -> MIDISPLTCH -> MIDIMONO LITE. :-)
Hoo-ray!!!

Will test older MIDIMONO patches shortly.

My MIDIMONO v5 (Build 77) Patch only has 8 channels (1-4, 5-8, same basic design as the LITE template I posted) but it now works with MIDISPLITCH Build 7, too! :-) I have every reason to believe it will also work with 16 channels, too. I will test that after dinner.

Thanks for fixing this!!!
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

I appreciate the solution!!! Some FYI results in case others are interested.

The synth engine for MIDIMONO & MIDIMONO LITE at preset respond to midi channel 1, although the midi in LEDs at the bottom show the presence of other incoming midi data. Not sure if that will change with other improvements. The important thing is: using MIDISPLITCH now works to create a multitimbral synth.

Aside: 1 instance of MIDIMONO on the left audio channel and 1 instance of MIDIMON LITE on the right audio channel both being fed by the same midi channel really thickens up the sound.
Attachments
MIDIMONO MIDI Display Simple4 Test.png
MIDIMONO MIDI Display Simple4 Test.png (410.34 KiB) Viewed 1546 times
Waverley Instruments

Post by Waverley Instruments »

Steve W wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:16 pmMIDISPLITCH Build 7 + MIDIMONO LITE Build 13 work together as channelized from usb -> host midi -> MIDISPLTCH -> MIDIMONO LITE. :-) Hoo-ray!!!
Hoo-ray indeed! That's excellent news Steve. Thanks for taking the time to investigate the issue and helping diagnose it. Also really sorry it caused you some frustration with your multi-setups. They do look awesome though! 8-)

Regarding the thickening effect, something that may be of interest - All the oscillators (incl. LFOs) drift, so even two MIDIMONOs with an identical patch, should never sound identical.

All the best, -Rob @ WI
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

Waverley Instruments wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:06 am
Steve W wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:16 pmMIDISPLITCH Build 7 + MIDIMONO LITE Build 13 work together as channelized from usb -> host midi -> MIDISPLTCH -> MIDIMONO LITE. :-) Hoo-ray!!!
Hoo-ray indeed! That's excellent news Steve. Thanks for taking the time to investigate the issue and helping diagnose it. Also really sorry it caused you some frustration with your multi-setups. They do look awesome though! 8-)
Just so you know, If I didn't think so highly of Waverley Instruments' VM modules, the omissions and oversights wouldn't "bug" me. Now I can get back to integrating the multi-timbral synth with Gigswitch 8. :-)

I found Gigswitch 8 to be very powerful! I used 2 instances for a streamed improv in October and it has been on my mind to incorporate into another live improv setup ever since the MIDIMONO POLY FUN BUNDLE came out.

Return to “Waverley Instruments”