Polyphonic Pressure Generator

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
Steve W

Re: Polyphonic Pressure Generator

Post by Steve W »

Attempt at helping to understand and resolve the issue removed.
Last edited by Steve W on Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
EricP1954

Post by EricP1954 »

Although I don't have the VST3 button in the same place, it comes up as an option when I first load the synth. Enable midi output is already checked by default and I also checked the Midi Source option.
PPG Setup_2.JPG
PPG Setup_2.JPG (273.34 KiB) Viewed 1108 times
I then discovered that I now have the option to designate the GX-80 as the VM output in Cakewalk. Finally getting somewhere! For the GX-80 track, I designated Voltage Modern as the input. I finally have sound!

I alternated playing the setup as I described and then on the GX-80 input, switching the input to just my keyboard and the sound is identical. So the midi is definitely passing through VM on its way to the GX-80, but I am going to need to test some presets that use aftertouch and none are labeled as such, and then re-watch Tim's videos on using the PPG to see if everything is working as planned. What's great about this setup is that I have an old Alesis QS6 with 60 some odd keys, and the keys are pressure sensitive but probably don't have aftertouch, so the PPG would be a godsend for my budget.
SpaceDog

Post by SpaceDog »

I did ask Tim if he would enable a time-limited demo for the PPG module. He has replied and was perfectly polite; however, he sees the ability to "return" the module via CA as a better way for users to try it out and he won't be enabling a demo period. They're his modules, it's his choice, and I respect that.
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

Attempt at helping to understand the issue removed.
Last edited by Steve W on Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
SpaceDog

Post by SpaceDog »

Steve W wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:23 pm
This comment (yours and what you claim Tim said to you) makes no sense to me.
[...]
Under these circumstances, I cannot recommend Voltage Modular users purchase the PPG module.

Caveat emptor!!!!!
SpaceDog wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:33 pm They're his modules, it's his choice . . . .
I agree with this part of your comment. Voltage Modular users and consumers of third party modules have choices. Also, as a community, I believe we have the option to try to help other users and a right and privilege to share what we discover about the modules we try (demos and purchases) for the benefit of other consumers.
I don't "claim" that Tim said anything, I simply reported what he did say in his email. I asked him politely if he would enable a time-limited demo for all (not just me), and he politely replied "no", with the reason I said. I'm not looking for a fight, life is way too short; however, sometimes a simple word can carry a lot of baggage and "claim" is one such word. I'm moving on...

Ultimately, every developer decides how to market their modules and they must be happy with that choice. I would definitely demo this one, it looks interesting and I have a feeling that Reaper would behave much better with it, but I won't be able to test that. If it worked, I would buy it. It's not a cheap module, so going in blind and then asking for a refund doesn't fill me with joy.

What we need is a balance to the discussion from someone who bought it and who is very happy with the module, and for whom it is working perfectly. They must exist.
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

SpaceDog wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:49 pm
Steve W wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:23 pm
This comment (yours and what you claim Tim said to you) makes no sense to me.
I don't "claim" that Tim said anything, I simply reported what he did say in his email.
SpaceDog wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:33 pm I did ask Tim if he would enable a time-limited demo for the PPG module. He has replied and was perfectly polite; however, he sees the ability to "return" the module via CA as a better way for users to try it out and he won't be enabling a demo period. They're his modules, it's his choice, and I respect that.
If you are nitpicking that I used the word "said" which implies oral communication, so be it. I thought about changing "said" so something else, but I figured my meaning was evident. Clearly it wasn't. Here you go:
This comment (yours and what you claim Tim reported/e-mailed to you) makes no sense to me.

I hope this clarifies what I was "saying" [or if you prefer "what I meant by the words I typed/posted"].
Last edited by Steve W on Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

Attempt at helping to understand the issue removed.
Last edited by Steve W on Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

Attempt at helping to understand and resolve the issue removed.
Last edited by Steve W on Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
EricP1954

Post by EricP1954 »

Steve and SpaceDog, I really appreciate all the time and help you're throwing my way!

I did hear from Tim this morning after sending him an email last night.

He told me that I hadn't set up an envelope trigger in PPG, and after designating touch velocity as the envelope trigger, voila, I finally got aftertouch!

To be more exact - In Cakewalk, I inserted VM into its own track as an instrument track with midi enabled. The trouble is still getting the midi output from VM into a software synth that is set up in a separate track. I've been getting nowhere with this.
Last edited by EricP1954 on Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

Glad Tim replied to your e-mail.

Return to “Voltage Modular”