Mercury 4 and Cubase 11

Mercury-4 is a detailed emulation of one of the best-sounding and quirkiest polyphonic synthesizers of the late 1970's, the Roland Jupiter-4.
Steve Adam

Mercury 4 and Cubase 11

Post by Steve Adam »

Hi all, first of all, loving the Mercury 4, I have been wanting a decent emulation of a Jupiter 4 for sooo long and this is a whole heap of fun. It's been over 20 years since I played one but this is pretty much as I remember it.

One small thing though - I'm finding that any track I use it in crashes Cubase 11 when I attempt to close the project. I've also experienced a crash when unloading an instance of the plug-in from the instance panel, which suggests that the problem is at the instrument unloading stage. I've been able to replicate this with both VST2 and VST3 versions. I'm running the latest version of Cubase (11.0.41) on a Windows 10 Professional machine.

I'm not saying for certain at this stage that it is the Mercury 4 that's definitely at the root of this (although it only started happening when I installed Mercury 4 and it appears to be the common factor) but I am wondering as a first troubleshooting step whether anyone else is experiencing something similar?
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Re: Mercury 4 and Cubase 11

Post by cherryaudio Greg »

Hi,

Does it happen if Mercury-4 is the only instrument in the project? Are you running Mercury-4 version 1.2.0? Be sure you've got the latest.

Greg
Steve Adam

Post by Steve Adam »

Hi Greg, sorry I am very late getting back to this party. Life got in the way a bit but I appreciate the reply. I can confirm I'm on the latest version (I also tried an uninstall/reinstall). I've also now been able to run some tests with only Mercury loaded as you suggest.

First time round, I was able to replicate the behaviour for the first few attempts, after which it seemed to behave. So although I could make it crash with only Mercury loaded (either/both VST2 and VST3) versions, I couldn't get it to do it consistently. I decided to hold off until the I got a chance to install the new Cubase 12 just in case the problem magically went away. I tried this today but sadly, the problem is still there. I was also able to make it happen consistently today. Just to confirm, either closing a project with Mercury loaded as the single VSTi, or unloading that instance without closing the project causes Cubase to crash, without writing an error log, resulting in the crash recovery dialogue the next time I run the program.

That said, interesting that no-one else here is reporting the same thing and I'm sure I'm not the only Cubase/Windows user here, so I'm prepared to accept there is a specific issue with my particular set-up, but I'm stumped as to what to try next!

Appreciate your help. Let me know if you need more detail on system etc or if I should open a support ticket.

(I've also now ticked the notify box so I will won't miss any further replies).
curness

Post by curness »

I am getting the same problem with any Cherry Audio plugging crashing Cubase 12. Other DAW's work fine though. Is there a solution please?
Yearofthegoat

Post by Yearofthegoat »

Just gave this a quick try in Cubase 12 Elements, and no crash.

Cubase is at 12.0.52 on my machine.

Return to “Mercury-4 Synthesizer”