Draft of additional documentation for GS

ColinP

Draft of additional documentation for GS

Post by ColinP »

I've been working on enhancing the documentation for the Granular Synth - trying to come up with something more practically oriented to supplement the existing reference material.

This type of thing takes a lot of time to put together and it's far from complete but my guess is that some of you will have a little spare time over the holiday period so I'm posting this link to the current draft just in case anyone is interested.

https://www.adroitsynthesis.com/granula ... operation/

Remember this is draft material and subject to change over the next week or so! :)
ColinP

Re: Draft of additional documentation for GS

Post by ColinP »

The documentation at...

https://www.adroitsynthesis.com/granula ... operation/

...is now sufficiently developed that it's classified as published rather than draft material (although it will very likely expand over time).

It contains various tips and tricks for using the Granular Synth along with 14 downloadable patches.
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

Thanks!
UrbanCyborg

Post by UrbanCyborg »

Looks really good, Colin. Have you considered creating PDF versions of your documentation?

Reid
Cyberwerks Heavy Industries -- viewforum.php?f=76
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

Cheers guys, I hope you find it useful.

On PDF documentation, I've had a couple of requests for this but on reflection I'm against it on the grounds that it freezes the documentation and getting online isn't that big an issue these days. When revisting the website many image files will already be cached so there's no major bandwidth hit for browsers.

I edit the documentation almost every day in response to people's queries, my own changing perceptions and in an ongoing effort to improve things. Even pages that were created two years ago get the occasional tweak. If people downloaded a PDF they would most likely never benefit from these updates.
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

Funny you should mention, I was thinking of asking if you could do a pdf version in part because I get dizzy and lost scrolling through web pages. But then I thought, "Maybe I should suggest a web structure I have used: a navigation panel not unlike a table of contents that places content in a larger, adjacent target pane." I nixed mentioning that because I figured you were too busy. Just mentioning it because the pdf/updating issue came up.
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

Yup Steve, I know what you mean. It's on my list of things to investigate/fix.

It's not much of an issue with simple modules but GS is a bit too much of a beast to describe succinctly, so some kind of indexing mechanism would be very helpful.

In the old days I used to put together webpages using raw HTML and anchor links worked perfectly well but when I've tried doing it in Wordpress the destination often seems to end up being slightly out for no apparent reason.

In general I'm not very impressed by Wordpress and rather than constantly trying to work around problems I think I might have to migrate to something else. But it requires an investment in time that I'd prefer to spend elsewhere. Still I'm extremely close to biting the bullet.
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

I've managed to workaround the anchor links problem with some CSS, so all the longer pages on my website now have a Table of Contents at the top.

Hopefully this makes navigation a bit eaiser.

TOC.png
TOC.png (62.51 KiB) Viewed 2089 times

Return to “Adroit Synthesis”