Fantastic VI

GX-80 is Cherry Audio's visionary flagship synthesizer that combines the unparalleled sound and features of the fabled GX-1 "Dream Machine"and its renowned descendant the CS-80 to create a powerhouse hybrid.
loony tunes

Re: Fantastic VI

Post by loony tunes »

Nice one Reid, great list
EricP1954

Post by EricP1954 »

loony tunes wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:08 pm Hi Epic, yes will post some tomorrow that I have found, also I will see if I can find a way to get the emo brass patch I have made online for you to try or screenshot the settings, I took one of the I think gx brass presets and tweaked the portmento and performance controls and its I would say 90% there to get the sound of the gx in pirates and fanfare as in the Montreal 77 concert, but as I said cannot quite get the wacky modulation flutter effect right, as you advised I will browse more presets until I find something with a similar effect then copy the modulation settings perhaps.
I will get back to the synth to see if I can locate the patch and reply back when I find it. Yeah, would love your modded gx brass preset, sweet!
EricP1954

Post by EricP1954 »

UrbanCyborg wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:12 pm Well, I probably haven't spotted them all yet, as I'm still working my way through the factory patches. However, here's a partial list of what I've found so far:

Vangelis:
0 Blade
A Voight-Kampff Test
A New Life Awaits You
Andromeda Cluster
Cats Eye Nebula
Chariots Brass
Chariots Split
CS Through Your Eyes
Enhance 15 to 23
Final Approach
Final Escape
Flying Cars
I've Seen Things
In Rachael's Eyes
In the Running
J.F. Sebastian
Mr. V's Lead
Pyramids Brass
Roy Batty's Revenge
Run Zhora Run
Sand Out of the Hourglass
Sleep Not Android Sheep
Tears in Rain
The Replicant's Dream
The Runners
Title Credits
Titles: Chapter One
Vangelis Quartet
Vangelis Sweet Pad
Zhora's Demise

Emerson:
Fanfare Bass
Fanfare Brass
Fanfare Comp
Fanfare Sweep
Myster E
Welcome Back Again

Blade Runner 2049: (not sure if Vangelis had anything to do with this)
Bellagio 2044
Do You Believe His Story

Jean Michel Jarre:
O2 Machine

I'm not 100% sure of all of them, and equally, I'm pretty sure I missed some.

Reid
Great list to share, thanks so much, UrbanCyborg!
EricP1954

Post by EricP1954 »

loony tunes wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:31 am Thanks Reid, yes found a few, I have managed to almost recreate my fav Emerson brass tone (think pirates if you know that) but really struggling to get the deep wacky vibrato (maybe sub oscillator) effect used at the end of the intro 0.39 on this video for example, anyone got any tips?

https://youtu.be/bWszM3-C4gM

Want to trigger it with aftertouch if possible, or map a controller if necessary, haven't enjoyed a vst this much in years, GX-1 has always been my dream vst
Hey Loony Tunes, kind of an anticlimactic eureka moment, but the patch called Wobbling Wheel has the fluttering character in Pirates. The problem with it is it's not tonally the same sound as Pirates and it's a monophonic patch. Also when you roll up the mod wheel, the modulation initially goes fast and automatically slows down. If you are good at tinkering, maybe you can copy off the modulation settings and then apply them to one of the GX Brass Patches to get closer to the Pirates effect.
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

Hi
Not sure if you’ve seen it but on the Music Player Network forum group review of the GX-80 (link in the main GX-80 pages on the CA site), Mark Barton ( one of the key developers) has posted an unbelievable Pirates intro preset with the modulation controlled by aftertouch. It’s amazingly good. I think the patch is posted on page 6 of the ongoing review posts. It literally brought a tear to my eyes!

He has also generously posted some other presets he used in his demo for the synth.

I’ve been listening back at all of Keith’s GX-1 tracks and would love to build up a bank of his sounds and I’ll try and make some but I don’t think I’ll get anywhere near what Mark can do.

I’d love to get the Peter Gunn main brassy patch and also the live Tiger in a Spotlight precise funky sound. Hopefully others will gradually add patches and we’ll get a lot more Emerson sounds to use.

It’s still a dream to have this at our fingertips after so long. It’s an amazing synth especially with a poly aftertouch controller.

All the best Steve
Last edited by SteveK on Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
EricP1954

Post by EricP1954 »

SteveK wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:22 pm Hi
Not sure if you’ve seen it but on the Music Player Network forum group review of the GX-80 (link in the main GX-80 pages on the CA site), Mark Barton ( one of the key developers) has posted an unbelievable Pirates intro preset with the modulation controlled by aftertouch. It’s amazingly good. I think the patch is posted on page 6 of the ongoing review posts. It literally brought a tear to my eyes!

He has also generously posted some other presets he used in his demo for the synth.

I’ve been listening back at all of Keith’s GX-1 tracks and would love to build up a bank of his sounds and I’ll try and make some but I don’t think I’ll get anywhere near what Mark can do.

I’d love to get the Peter Gunn main brassy patch and also the live Tiger in a Spotlight precise funky sound. Hopefully others will gradually add patches and we’ll get a lot more Emerson sound so use.

It’s still a dream to have this at our fingertips after so long. It’s an amazing synth especially with a poly aftertouch controller.

All the best Steve
Hi Steve, in a complete coincidental circumstance, I found out that this is the same Mark Barton who I previously played with eons ago! He's a monster keyboard player! I asked him to please create the patch after he said that it could be done. I know that your post really touched Mark, and he commented on your post. I've become an addict to the GX-80 Team Test discussion on Music Player Network, as well as this forum.

You brought up a few great examples of the GX-1 in action. To your list, I would love to know the various GX-1 patches from Fanfare! I hope to catch Mark in a good mood, LOL!
Rare Bird

Post by Rare Bird »

UrbanCyborg wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:12 pm Well, I probably haven't spotted them all yet, as I'm still working my way through the factory patches. However, here's a partial list of what I've found so far:

Vangelis:
0 Blade
A Voight-Kampff Test
A New Life Awaits You
Andromeda Cluster
Cats Eye Nebula
Chariots Brass
Chariots Split
CS Through Your Eyes
Enhance 15 to 23
Final Approach
Final Escape
Flying Cars
I've Seen Things
In Rachael's Eyes
In the Running
J.F. Sebastian
Mr. V's Lead
Pyramids Brass
Roy Batty's Revenge
Run Zhora Run
Sand Out of the Hourglass
Sleep Not Android Sheep
Tears in Rain
The Replicant's Dream
The Runners
Title Credits
Titles: Chapter One
Vangelis Quartet
Vangelis Sweet Pad
Zhora's Demise

Emerson:
Fanfare Bass
Fanfare Brass
Fanfare Comp
Fanfare Sweep
Myster E
Welcome Back Again

Blade Runner 2049: (not sure if Vangelis had anything to do with this)
Bellagio 2044
Do You Believe His Story

Jean Michel Jarre:
O2 Machine

I'm not 100% sure of all of them, and equally, I'm pretty sure I missed some.

Reid
Nice list. How about some Toto sounds?
UrbanCyborg

Post by UrbanCyborg »

I don't listen to Toto, so I'd be unable to spot them. Sorry.

Reid
Cyberwerks Heavy Industries -- viewforum.php?f=76
Rare Bird

Post by Rare Bird »

UrbanCyborg wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:34 pm I don't listen to Toto, so I'd be unable to spot them. Sorry.

Reid
Perhaps someone else would be able to spot them.

I have to admit, I prefer making my own sounds.
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

I cannot believe its been a year since this amazing synth was released.

Just wondering if anyone has created any more Keith Emerson GX-1 sounds they may be willing to share?

I would love the Introductory Fanfare/Peter Gunn patches he used live on tour in 1977. I know I should knuckle down and learn to program them myself but perhaps others have had some success already...

Perhaps Mark B is putting his feet up after his amazing programming work on the recently released incredible Pro Soloist synth and would knock a few sounds out for us!!! ;)

All the best
Steve

Return to “GX-80 Synthesizer”