noticing a fault with the low E acting as a trigger instead of a note

GX-80 is Cherry Audio's visionary flagship synthesizer that combines the unparalleled sound and features of the fabled GX-1 "Dream Machine"and its renowned descendant the CS-80 to create a powerhouse hybrid.
Ian Craig

noticing a fault with the low E acting as a trigger instead of a note

Post by Ian Craig »

I'm noticing a fault with the low E acting as a trigger instead of a note in both Mixcraft 8 and 9.
If I MIDI learn the scale setting to be controlled by the MOD Wheel, if I use a keystep Pro Arpeeggio that contains the low E note on the GX-80 it causes the scale to jump and the note not to sound. I was using Mixcraft 8 64 bit in Windows 10 & thought it might be related to the rouge note effect that always occurred in Mixcraft 8 when using a clocked piece of external hardware so I tried it in Mixcraft 9 and it is happening in that too. I haven't tried any other DAW yet. I was not controlling the external device's clock from Mixcraft, just using it's internal clock.
AMD Ryzen 8 Core 3.0 GHz,
2TB SSD etc, 40GB RAM,
Windows 10 Professional
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (Audio Interface)
Mixcraft 7,8 (& sometimes 9) Pro Studio
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Re: noticing a fault with the low E acting as a trigger instead of a note

Post by cherryaudio Greg »

Hi,

This is often caused by an inadvertent MIDI mapping. If the MIDI mapping is in GX-80 itself, you can just click the MIDI option in the toolbar and look through the mappings. Mixcraft has an option to reset all MIDI mapping in control surface preferences.

Greg
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

Ian Craig wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:56 am I'm noticing a fault with the low E acting as a trigger instead of a note in both Mixcraft 8 and 9.
If I MIDI learn the scale setting to be controlled by the MOD Wheel . . .
I haven't found where to change the scale the GX-80 uses even by searching the pdf for scale? There's a lot in the UI. Can you point me to it? Thanks.

Oh. Do you mean a scale setting in Mixcraft?
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

No, I mean each of the ranks has two scale settings above the keyboard. Try binding their controls to the mod wheel & play the note I suggested
2TB SSD etc, 40GB RAM,
Windows 10 Professional
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

Ian Craig wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 11:24 am No, I mean each of the ranks has two scale settings above the keyboard. Try binding their controls to the mod wheel & play the note I suggested
I know my eyesight is not as good as it used to be, but I cannot find "scale" on the panel or in the GX-80 user guide. I even zoomed in using focus and looked at each section individually.

Wait a second, are talking about the "Feet" aka Coarse Pitch?
Feet I/II/III/IV- Sets the coarse pitch range for each oscillator in traditional organ footage settings of 16', 8', 5 1/3', 4', 3 1/5', 2 2/7', 2 2/3' and 2'. The 3 1/5' and 2 2/7' footages are from GX-1; these are not available on the original CS-80.
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

Steve W wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:01 pm
Ian Craig wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 11:24 am No, I mean each of the ranks has two scale settings above the keyboard. Try binding their controls to the mod wheel & play the note I suggested
I know my eyesight is not as good as it used to be, but I cannot find "scale" on the panel or in the GX-80 user guide. I even zoomed in using focus and looked at each section individually.

Wait a second, are talking about the "Feet" aka Coarse Pitch?
Feet I/II/III/IV- Sets the coarse pitch range for each oscillator in traditional organ footage settings of 16', 8', 5 1/3', 4', 3 1/5', 2 2/7', 2 2/3' and 2'. The 3 1/5' and 2 2/7' footages are from GX-1; these are not available on the original CS-80.
Yes, those are Scale settings for tuned organ pipes. Also, on the Korg Ms-10/20 and probably on the PS-20 (I can't recall & can't look it up as I'm in the middle of migrating to a new computer). Sorry, for any confusion.
2TB SSD etc, 40GB RAM,
Windows 10 Professional
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

Ian Craig wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:48 am
Steve W wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:01 pm Wait a second, are talking about the "Feet" aka Coarse Pitch?
Yes, those are Scale settings for tuned organ pipes. Also, on the Korg Ms-10/20 and probably on the PS-20 (I can't recall & can't look it up as I'm in the middle of migrating to a new computer). Sorry, for any confusion.
Thanks for confirming that. Yes, they are labelled Scale on the PS-20. Earlier today, I tried doing what you did (mapping my Mod Wheel to the Feet/Scale/Coarse Tuning of all 4 Ranks and then running an arp into the GX-80) but both the low E on my usb keyboard and the one in the UI performed as expected. Maybe someone else can duplicate your issue.
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

Follow-Up: I tried again with a different host, using my DAW's built-in Arpeggiator routed to the GX-80. All low Es (and other notes) do not get suppressed and do not get mapped to any of the 4 Scales.
cherryaudio Greg wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:03 pm This is often caused by an inadvertent MIDI mapping. If the MIDI mapping is in GX-80 itself, you can just click the MIDI option in the toolbar and look through the mappings. Mixcraft has an option to reset all MIDI mapping in control surface preferences.
Many times I have made the mistake of pressing a note to test a sound while I had midi learn on, thereby setting a note as a trigger. In case it helps, here's what I have that works properly:
MW2AllFeet.png
MW2AllFeet.png (11.08 KiB) Viewed 2992 times

To test an error condition, I changed Rank. I got E2 to do what you described.
MW2SomeFeet.png
MW2SomeFeet.png (12.14 KiB) Viewed 2992 times
Ian Craig

Post by Ian Craig »

Okay, thanks for the info. I'll check out fixing it when I've got time.
2TB SSD etc, 40GB RAM,
Windows 10 Professional

Return to “GX-80 Synthesizer”