GX-80 cracks and huge heavy use of CPU when oversampling x4

GX-80 is Cherry Audio's visionary flagship synthesizer that combines the unparalleled sound and features of the fabled GX-1 "Dream Machine"and its renowned descendant the CS-80 to create a powerhouse hybrid.
papopap

GX-80 cracks and huge heavy use of CPU when oversampling x4

Post by papopap »

HI,

just bought the GX-80 synth and it sound great :D . but the VST does not seem's to optimized for // processing . I have a huge computer PC with Intel CPU Core 7 10X (16 cpu) / 32go RAM a 16 ms of Latency with my sound card (so a quasi 0 latency !!) with a very powerful graphic card (Nvidia) everything is ok for all VST have (more that 50) included the U-He Diva with is known as a huge CPU VST

it is the first time I have cracks on this VST and sure with my config (it is very optimized) it is not possible..

GX-80 doest not seem's to use all the power of the // cpu .. I have cracks on oversampling 3 and 4 and as I have a "highly optimized monster" it seem's that something wrong with the plug-in.
BayushiYoda

Re: GX-80 cracks and huge heavy use of CPU when oversampling x4

Post by BayushiYoda »

This might sound like a really unhelpful suggestion, but does your daw have a way of hiding the UI? In reaper I had a lot of audio issues go away using the "UI" feature (that replaces the default GUI with a bunch of ugly sliders).

I was having a lot of audio glitches while adjusting sliders (mapped to midi controllers), even at quality 1, with similar specs to your machine. I increased ASIO buffer size, tried a different midi controller, closed every other application, rebooted etc. Then I discovered by accident (while comparing to Arturia's CS 80v) that with the UI hidden I had no issues. With the UI hidden I get no issues at quality 4 and buffer size turned way back down again.

edit: trying some more complicated patches, it's improved without the UI, but not able to run at quality 4, so it's not a total solution.
hexfix93

Post by hexfix93 »

I have a md 5950x, and it uses a lot on mine too if i put it in 3 or 4 x. but at 2 its ok. This is 4 synth engines at once. So remember some of the presets are pushing it hard..
midinotes

Post by midinotes »

No issues at all on 4 x Oversampling quality, 16 voices on a M1 iMac 16GB with Focusrite Scarlett interface. Using in Logic with an IO buffer of 128 samples.

Simon
MRBarton

Post by MRBarton »

There is a huge misconception that the oversampling buttons are "quality" controls. They are not. You will realize no increase in quality through their use. All you will do is double or more your CPU load. Oversampling is not free or a simple change of algorithm. It means every calculation runs again, and maybe again and again and again, including things like envelopes, LFOs, and knob smoothers -- generally a huge waste. The GX-80 uses 100% alias-free algorithms, so pressing those buttons is a nothing-burger. Best practice is to run the GX-80 (and any other modern plugin for that matter) at the native sampling rate of your project which happens automatically at 1x. If your computer is made by Ferrari, feel free to press the buttons. I for one would rather save my CPU power for something else. The GX-80 sounds fantastic just the way it is.

--mb
mosspa

Post by mosspa »

MRBarton wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:00 am There is a huge misconception that the oversampling buttons are "quality" controls. They are not. You will realize no increase in quality through their use. All you will do is double or more your CPU load. Oversampling is not free or a simple change of algorithm. It means every calculation runs again, and maybe again and again and again, including things like envelopes, LFOs, and knob smoothers -- generally a huge waste. The GX-80 uses 100% alias-free algorithms, so pressing those buttons is a nothing-burger. Best practice is to run the GX-80 (and any other modern plugin for that matter) at the native sampling rate of your project which happens automatically at 1x. If your computer is made by Ferrari, feel free to press the buttons. I for one would rather save my CPU power for something else. The GX-80 sounds fantastic just the way it is.

--mb
If this were the case, why provide the button in the first place? My assumption was that it worked like the the way Diva used to. On that synth the quality button, really made a significant difference in the quality of the emulations. Dan, if you are listening, could you please help out here? Is your button useless, or not?

Return to “GX-80 Synthesizer”