.voltagepreset loading problem

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
ColinP

.voltagepreset loading problem

Post by ColinP »

Previously if you opened a .voltagepreset file it would automatically run Voltage Modular in standalone mode and load the preset but after the version 2.7.0 update this fails leaving you with empty cabinets.

This is under Windows but my guess is that the same bug occurs in the Mac version.

I've raised this with CA and hope there will be a fix soon as it really impacts my website as I provide presets as part of tutorials and previously people could load these presets with just two mouse clicks.

It also means that none of the presets in the forum's Preset Exchange work if you have upgraded to 2.7.0.

There are two workarounds, neither of which are particularly elegant...

1) Open the .voltagepreset file as before. VM launches but with empty cabinets. Then close down VM. Then open VM again but not by clicking on the .voltagepreset file. Then the cabinets will be populated and you can save the preset. This only works if you have Load Last Preset On Startup enabled in Settings.

2) Copy the .voltagepreset file from your download folder to the VM preset folder.

On Windows this is located at Users\[your username]\AppData\Roaming\Voltage\presets\User Presets

Unfortunately by default Microsoft makes the AppData folder hidden. Google how to make it appear.

On Mac I believe it's located at /Users/[your username]/Library/Application Support/Voltage/Presets
Steve W

Re: .voltagepreset loading problem

Post by Steve W »

Thanks for the heads up. I am on 2.5.5 and didn't realize there was a newer version. I will hold off updating.
PoorFellow

Post by PoorFellow »

ColinP wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:32 pmI've raised this with CA and hope there will be a fix soon as it really impacts my website as I provide presets as part of tutorials and previously people could load these presets with just two mouse clicks.
I downloaded presets from your site. Luckily I am apparently a bit backwards because I normally always download my presets to drive and copy them to folder before use. So your preset worked for me even though I have upgraded Voltage Modular. I do however already run Voltage Modular using a custom preset content path so I am really used to having to navigate there ! :geek:
But thank you very much for reporting !
:arrow: Don't bother me ! :!:
Aarnville

Post by Aarnville »

Just to confirm Colin's findings and add a third workaround.

3) You can drag and drop a .voltagepreset file onto main VM window and it opens correctly.

As an aside, my update to 2.7.0 was not entirely smooth - it screwed up my module database, detailed here:

viewtopic.php?t=2596
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

Unfortunately it appears that this bug won't be fixed in the near future but there's a fourth workaround related to Ian's suggestion.

4) Manually launch VM first then open the .voltagepreset file by double-clicking on the file or single-clicking on the download tab.

This isn't what I would normally expect to happen when opening a file but it's perhaps an easier workaround than the other methods.
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

I'm just putting together a help webpage on downloading presets and going over this issue double-checking things.

I had thought that workaround 2) worked but testing it again in fact it doesn't. I don't know what I did last time that made it appear to work.

I'm guessing that the VM preset menu system isn't looking at files but is instead interrogating a catalog file that it maintains. And as there's no import preset function the only way to import a preset is by opening the .voltagepreset file.

I'm getting conflicting info about this so can anyone confirm that opening a .voltagepreset file on a Mac when VM is not currently running successfully launches VM and loads the preset without the empty cabinets bug?
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

ColinP wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:32 pm Previously if you opened a .voltagepreset file it would automatically run Voltage Modular in standalone mode and load the preset but after the version 2.7.0 update this fails leaving you with empty cabinets.
Steve W wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:56 pm Thanks for the heads up. I am on 2.5.5 and didn't realize there was a newer version. I will hold off updating.
Because of this bug, I didn't update until yesterday. Does anyone know if this is on the list of fixes for the next release? Has anyone put in a formal request? Out of curiosity, if the behavior was changed does anyone know why it was changed?
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Post by cherryaudio Greg »

Hi,

This should be fixed in the next update.

The workaround is to open Voltage Modular, then open the preset file.

Greg
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

Steve W wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:16 pm Because of this bug, I didn't update until yesterday. Does anyone know if this is on the list of fixes for the next release? Has anyone put in a formal request? Out of curiosity, if the behavior was changed does anyone know why it was changed?
Although it's not an ideal situation the 2.7.0 VM update may give us several undocumented benefits in terms of efficiency and reliability.

The only downside is really that with 2.7.0 you have to have VM already open before opening a .voltagepreset file. I've added a page to my website to explain...

https://www.adroitsynthesis.com/downloading-presets/

I've spoken to CA about it and it should be fixed in the next update, but who knows when that will be.

There is some confusion though as I was told that the bug existed in the previous version too, but I know it didn't as I'd done extensive testing after fixing a problem in Wordpress a week or two prior to installing the VM update.

I'm assured that CA are on the ball with this though and will perform specific tests prior to the next update.
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

Greg beat me to it!

:D

Return to “Voltage Modular”