Recording MIDI and Audio to Logic

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
safeite

Recording MIDI and Audio to Logic

Post by safeite »

Greetings:

I am able to get signal flow working it seems - MIDI out to DAW module, I have sound in the standalone, but no sound for same preset in Logic as a plugin. With standalone set to MIDI out - unable to get that MIDI or "AUX outs to host" to convey any input signal - MIDI or sound - to the DAW.
Everything else works easily and logically.
What am I missing in Logic for it's inputs?

Thanks In Advance,

Steve
Steve W

Re: Recording MIDI and Audio to Logic

Post by Steve W »

safeite wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:26 pm I am able to get signal flow working it seems - MIDI out to DAW module, I have sound in the standalone, but no sound for same preset in Logic as a plugin. With standalone set to MIDI out - unable to get that MIDI or "AUX outs to host" to convey any input signal - MIDI or sound - to the DAW.
Everything else works easily and logically.
What am I missing in Logic for it's inputs?

I have had both MIDI and Audio connectivity with a different DAW so I can't help with Logic. But from your description, I am wondering what you are trying to do: MIDI from VM to DAW, MIDI from DAW to VM, Audio from VM to DAW, Audio from DAW to VM?

I have had all variations. Each type of connection requires a different approach.

Also, are you using a controller (or more than one)? That also enters into the routing equation. I assume MIDI out is coming from a controller. Is the DAW module something that's in Logic? (My DAW uses tracks.)

With my DAW, I just insert an instance of VM (VST or VST3 version plug-in) and the DAW sets it so I can just select a preset within the VM UI and play it from my usb midi keyboard because the track echoes the keyboard notes to VM. It works that way if I choose 1 track (for the main AV audio output) or 4 tracks (one for each set of possible VM outputs).

Not knowing how Logic works, this confuses me:
safeite wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:26 pm With standalone set to MIDI out - unable to get that MIDI or "AUX outs to host" to convey any input signal - MIDI or sound - to the DAW.
It almost sounds like you are trying to patch the standalone version into Logic.

Return to “Voltage Modular”