Cross Fade Grid - needs beta testers

poetix

Cross Fade Grid - needs beta testers

Post by poetix »

The first Vulpus Labs module is now ready for testing. It's called Cross Fade Grid, and it looks like this:

Screenshot 2022-11-29 at 16.32.44.png
Screenshot 2022-11-29 at 16.32.44.png (45.09 KiB) Viewed 456 times

The basic premise is that you have four inputs (each with its own patchable volume control), and one output, and a sixteen-step sequencer grid that you can use to select which input is sent to the output at each step. When switching between inputs, a smooth (sigmoid curve) crossfade is applied, of controllable length. The stepping of the sequencer is driven by an external clock (something that fires BPM-controlled triggers, or just an LFO).

Uses:
  • Trance Gapper - route the same source into multiple inputs, adjusting or modulating the volume of each, and use the grid to produce rhythmically patterned volume modulation effects
  • Rhythmic modulation - route the same input source into multiple effects signal chains, and use the grid to switch rhythmically between them, e.g. alternating between a clean and a distorted or filtered signal.
  • Source interleaving - interleave multiple input sources, e.g. a guitar and a sequenced synth pattern, or oscillator tones tuned to different pitches for an arpeggiation effect with timbral variation.
For example, I sent an oscillator to input 1, a second oscillator pitched up by a major 3rd to input 2, and the output of a ring modulator combining both oscillator signals to input 3. I then routed the output through a filtered delay back into input 4, and built a rhythmic pattern switching between all four input signals, with the length of the crossfade varied by an LFO. Here's what that looked like:

Screenshot 2022-11-29 at 16.34.22.png
Screenshot 2022-11-29 at 16.34.22.png (716.75 KiB) Viewed 456 times
and here's what that sounded like:

crossfadegridsample2.mp3
(251.02 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
Anyone fancy testing this, reply here or drop me a DM and I'll add you to the beta testers list!
London, UK
Developer, Vulpus Labs
Musician, w/trem
UrbanCyborg

Re: Cross Fade Grid - needs beta testers

Post by UrbanCyborg »

Nice! I had something like this scheduled for addition to my Poly Permuter, but decided to relegate it to the "later list." Guess I'll get around to it sometime, but right now getting my last year's work to release status takes precedent.

Reid
Cyberwerks Heavy Industries -- viewforum.php?f=76

Return to “Module Designer”