On/off control of Amp/Oscillator using midi-player ?

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
PoorFellow

On/off control of Amp/Oscillator using midi-player ?

Post by PoorFellow »

Hello ,

I am constantly struggling to get a grip of the basics of Voltage Modular , including finding the right module if I want to do something (turning vague idea into actual layout takes knowledge of both Voltage Modular and modules for same !)

Today I once again were trying to use Cherry Audio MIDI File Player ( https://store.cherryaudio.com/modules/midi-file-player ) as basis of Midi input generation for 'playing' with Voltage Modular and more modules.
I need to keep it all really simple so I am starting off using only "MIDI File Player" , Midi to CV and an Oscillator to do the sound generation.
That's all fine , but I would like to get the Oscillator to shut up/off completely when I stop the Midi File Player so that I do not have to touch anything else than stop button on MIDI File Player to shut off sound. So I have tried adding the Envelope Generator and the Amplifier !
As I see it then maybe the problem is that the MIDI File Player do not have it's own Gate out or control On/Off out , I mean I don't know , I have tried using the Envelope generator + Amp taking gate from Midi to CV to Env Gen gate in like if Midi had come from external keyboard , but that doesn't really shut off the Oscillator/Amp sound , it would have done so if I had been using a keyboard for input via 'Midi from Host and take Gate from same source ! (It's possible that I am entirely misunderstanding the functionality of the Midi to CV gate but I do not see that as my issue here , and as far as I can seen there is no help either for neither the MIDI File Player : https://store.cherryaudio.com/modules/midi-file-player nor for the
Midi to CV either : https://store.cherryaudio.com/modules/midi-to-cv )

Could anybody please tell me what module to use to control/shut off Amp/Sound when I stop C.A. MIDI File Player ?
Or is there another player that has a gate / control signal to control Amp/other module off ?

:arrow: Don't bother me ! :!:
Steve W

Re: On/off control of Amp/Oscillator using midi-player ?

Post by Steve W »

Until you figure it out, try this freebie from Adroit Synthesis: https://store.cherryaudio.com/modules/midi-panic.

You might want to see if the midi file has a sustain that's not turned off.
PoorFellow wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:39 pm Could anybody please tell me what module to use to control/shut off Amp/Sound when I stop C.A. MIDI File Player ?
Or is there another player that has a gate / control signal to control Amp/other module off ?
I recreated a patch using the modules you have. When I press stop on the player, there isn't any sustaining note. I see, turn the gain on the amp down (counterclockwise to zero).
Last edited by Steve W on Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PoorFellow

Post by PoorFellow »

Steve W wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:51 pm Until you figure it out, try this freebie from Adroit Synthesis: https://store.cherryaudio.com/modules/midi-panic.

You might want to see if the midi file has a sustain that's not turned off.
Thank you very much Steve for an amazingly fast and easy fix suggestion. As far as I am concerned then that not only was a fix but also sort of nailed the reason to the problem of Midi File Player versus using a keyboard for input. I mean the possible 'lingering' sustain. I had sort been around it as I noticed that it mattered when I clicked stop so I tried some other modules (trigger to CV I think that they were and other something similar). And I noticed that another user had asked for something to strip a midi signal for certain CC but I didn't see it useful here even if it had existed as if killing sustain in general would maybe ruin music used.
But you fix is amazingly simple and works perfectly as a fix in the present situation as far as I am concerned !
Thank you ! :)
Steve W wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:51 pmI recreated a patch using the modules you have. When I press stop on the player, there isn't any sustaining note.
P.S.
I think that you nailed it the first time Steve , it's most likely a 'sustain' using the specific Midi file
that were the problem .
but still thank you very much for the extra feed back that will make me dig further into the problem , without your extra feedback I wouldn't have noticed ..

P.S. 2
I forgot to note that , adding the Midi Panic Module as shown then I do not even have to push the button on the Midi Panic module, as soon as I click stop on Midi File Player then all sound stops ! ? ! ?

Steve W

Post by Steve W »

MIDI Panic was one of my early acquisitions. Very handy.

I had a simple bass line, so I didn't need it. Pressing stop on the player stopped the amp.

Turn Amp Gain down.png
Turn Amp Gain down.png (392.55 KiB) Viewed 889 times
Last edited by Steve W on Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

Compare the Amp Gain in the first version of the patch with mine.

Amp Gain is not zero.png
Amp Gain is not zero.png (36.53 KiB) Viewed 888 times

Actually, once I looked, I realized my initial guess about sustain was wrong. Even if the midi file had sustains in it, the sustain from the MIDI to CV module isn't going anywhere at all!!!!
Last edited by Steve W on Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.
PoorFellow

Post by PoorFellow »

Steve W wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:21 pmMIDI Panic was one of my early acquisitions. Very handy. Thank you!

I had a simple bass line, so I didn't need it. Pressing stop on the player stopped the amp.
Yeah , for me too !
When I turned down the gain then I didn't need the Midi Panic either , so maybe real problem were/is not the sustain but that I am still too novice here to understand even the simplest like having to turn down Gain button on Amp to make the Amp truly controlled by the Env Generator . I mean , at this point I really do not even understand modules that much / fully to determine where my own err lies ! :lol: :oops:

The only thing that I got going for me here is that I found out how to put the modules together all by myself (Midi player , midi to CV and oscillator) using logic . But still I have a very long way to go before even understanding the most basic here. (but at least I do recognize so even at beginning of first post !)

Sorry for the inconvenience and once again thank you very much for your help and kind understanding :) :geek:
Steve W wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:25 pm Compare the Amp Gain in PoorFellow's patch with Colin's and mine.

Amp Gain is not zero.png
Colin's ?

--------------

So great with editing , everybody is pondering then goes back to edit , then realizes that the other fellow also just realized then , maybe gores back to edit again , and so on ! :lol:

But in this case then I will take some of the above edited as an expression that my in-between guess that I maybe did not understand the Amp gain settings versus the Gain input correctly !
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

No reason to be sorry. All of us were beginners at some point. For me, its a great way to practice debugging patches with small things. A large part of learning is picking up little tidbits whether its from self-discovery (trial and error), re-reading the documentation, breaking down others' patches, and having other pairs of eyes take a look. You are starting off well on your journey towards modular mastery!

Ignore my reference to "Colin's." I was doing too many different things and hadn't had my morning coffee yet.

Return to “Voltage Modular”