recommended controller?

GX-80 is Cherry Audio's visionary flagship synthesizer that combines the unparalleled sound and features of the fabled GX-1 "Dream Machine"and its renowned descendant the CS-80 to create a powerhouse hybrid.
robpreuss

recommended controller?

Post by robpreuss »

The GX-80 is one of the most beautiful sounding VSTs i have ever played...
the effects and mod sections are so nice......

i'm wondering if there is currently a controller which
could take advantage of all the features found here...
the velocity and touch controls especially!

thanks for any tips!
r o b
cherryaudio Robert
Site Admin

Re: recommended controller?

Post by cherryaudio Robert »

This is probably not a complete list, but these come to mind, in a variety of prices and features. Some pad-based controllers (or keyboard controllers with pads, like Novation’s SL MkIII) have Poly Aftertouch through the pads. Some of these are complete synths with Poly AT keys that also transmit the signals.

Roli Lumi and Rise, CME Keys, most (all?) Keith McMillen controllers, ASM Hydrasynths (synths that can be used as controllers), Kurzweil Midiboard, MPC gear, Expressive E Osmose, Linnstrument, vintage Ensoniqs (SQ80 VFX), Arturia Microfreak, Mellotron 4000D, Novation Launchpad Pro and X and SL MkIII (as above), Waldorf Iridium keys, and Ableton Push 2 when used with Live.

Others may be able to chime in with others I missed. The key thing to look for is absolute clarity that the instrument/controller has “polyphonic aftertouch” (not just mono or channel aftertouch), that it transmits it, and that it’s not just a synthesizer that says it supports polyphonic aftertouch just because it receives it (but doesn’t have keys that support it).

I have a Hydrasynth arriving today that fully supports Poly AT, knobs that can be configured as MIDI controllers, and has a pitch ribbon that should correspond to GX-80's ribbon. If all goes well, I may create a video about this combination.
Robert
--
Robert Saint John, Director of Marketing
Cherry Audio
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

Robert
I got a Hydrasynth Deluxe this week which is a great instrument and the Polytouch full polyphonic AT keyboard is a joy to use with the GX-80.

However, I’ve not yet got the ribbon controller working to control the GX-80 or indeed any other VST. I’m sure I’ll work it out eventually with the manual but wondered if yours is all set up and whether you are going to post that video etc…

Thanks for any insight and for this amazing VST.

Regards
Steve
utdgrant

Post by utdgrant »

Just a thought...

If you already have a controller with "monophonic aftertouch" / "channel pressure", the PPG Polyphonic Pressure Generator by Tim Shoebridge can go some way towards giving you that poly pressure response without having to invest in new hardware. It's currently available for $19 in the CA Store.

Post by SpaceDog »

utdgrant wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:56 pm Just a thought...

If you already have a controller with "monophonic aftertouch" / "channel pressure", the PPG Polyphonic Pressure Generator by Tim Shoebridge can go some way towards giving you that poly pressure response without having to invest in new hardware. It's currently available for $19 in the CA Store.
It's a shame he doesn't offer a demo. I really must connect up my MicroFreak and try that.
cherryaudio Robert
Site Admin

Post by cherryaudio Robert »

SteveK wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:21 am I got a Hydrasynth Deluxe this week which is a great instrument and the Polytouch full polyphonic AT keyboard is a joy to use with the GX-80.

However, I’ve not yet got the ribbon controller working to control the GX-80 or indeed any other VST. I’m sure I’ll work it out eventually with the manual but wondered if yours is all set up and whether you are going to post that video etc…
I'm sorry, I completely missed this post, and you may have already solved the issue. On my Hydrasynth (49 key original version), I had to go to System Setup, page 5/12, change RbnPB TX to On. That lets it send the Pitch Bend data externally over MIDI. The default was off.
Robert
--
Robert Saint John, Director of Marketing
Cherry Audio
EricP1954

Post by EricP1954 »

Just curious...I'm pulling the trigger on a Hydrasynth Explorer so that I can have all the great polyphonic aftertouch and velocity sensitive keys, and forgive me if this has been answered someplace else, but can the ribbon controller on the Hydrasynth be set up to control the ribbon controller on the GX-80? Would be interested too in any workaround solutions to make this happen.
UrbanCyborg

Post by UrbanCyborg »

I just got a McMillan K-4, and it works gangbusters with the GX-80. Bit pricey, but lots cheaper than a full-up MDE-capable MIDI Board.

Reid
Cyberwerks Heavy Industries -- viewforum.php?f=76
EricP1954

Post by EricP1954 »

UrbanCyborg wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:12 am I just got a McMillan K-4, and it works gangbusters with the GX-80. Bit pricey, but lots cheaper than a full-up MDE-capable MIDI Board.

Reid
Reid, after reading your post, I checked out the K-4, and I'm probably going for that as a controller rather than the Explorer. I'm a little apprehensive about the stationary keys, but the setup looks great and like the GX-1, you can go side to side on the keys. How do you like the horizontal pitch slider on the K-4, does it map to the ribbon on the GX-80?
UrbanCyborg

Post by UrbanCyborg »

It maps fine. The ribbon is automatically set up on the left controller (pitch bend). I haven't tried remapping anything, just haven't had the time. The non-moving keys take a bit of getting used to, but not so much as I'd feared. If you can play, then you can play the K-4. The keys being smaller than standard throws me a bit, as does the top key, with isn't C, but B, which I find annoying when I'm fiddling around, since I have a tendency to do it in C. The material the keys are made of has a bit of grab, not smooth like plastic keys, and I like that. I need to try programming something on the GX-80 to use the slide axis on the keys. When there's more time, alas.

Reid
Cyberwerks Heavy Industries -- viewforum.php?f=76

Return to “GX-80 Synthesizer”