VM 900 as a standalone VST

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
rfj

VM 900 as a standalone VST

Post by rfj »

For years there has been a lot of talk in specialized audio forums like KVR about an emulation of the Moog 900 modular made by a company called Pulsar Modular.

There is a certain mystery surrounding this softsynth (currently only available for Mac) given that it was originally developed by a Spanish programmer living in Ibiza and was later acquired by another company that is apparently recoding the software for Mac and Windows.

According to the developers the sound of the Pulsar 900 is identical to that of a genuine Moog modular. In the KVR forums many say that it is true.

What is clear is that there is a lot of interest in this Moog 900 emulation which leads me to think of the extraordinary VM900 from Cherry Audio/MRB.

Given the interest in this mysterious Pulsar P900 that has been withdrawn for years, I think there is a solid market niche for Cherry Audio to release an enhanced and even improved VST based on the VM900.

It's my suggestion to the guys at Cherry Audio.
UrbanCyborg

Re: VM 900 as a standalone VST

Post by UrbanCyborg »

+1
I'd go further and say that it should have poly capability, as well.

Reid
Cyberwerks Heavy Industries -- viewforum.php?f=76
rfj

Post by rfj »

UrbanCyborg wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:51 pm +1
I'd go further and say that it should have poly capability, as well.

Reid
Given that Pulsar P900 is polyphonic, a polyphonic VST version of VM900 will be a plus for existing VM 900 users as myself.
rfj

Re: VM 900 as a standalone VS

Post by rfj »

However things seem a little freakish about this Pulsar 900 since its planned price (if some day finally gets relaunched) is 500 $ :o
SpaceDog

Post by SpaceDog »

Can I offer a challenge to this...? Why do we need a polyphonic Moog modular...? And, why do we need a stand-alone VST...? There are a LOT of polyphonic modules that can get you what you likely need within VM, or as an instrument, already - for example, CA do a Poly Vintage Oscillator and MRB does a POLY "Mood" filter. Also, the VM ecosystem can operate truly standalone (i.e. not VST), if needed, and the VM900 modules work instantly in either configuration. Just being a stand-alone VST offers few advantages over using VM as a VST.

If needed, you can already do three-note paraphonic with the VM900, but true polyphonic is a whole different game. Even the Polymoog was Paraphonic, not Polyphonic.

I do use truly stand-alone instruments that need to be piped into my DAW and I'm comfortable doing that because they give me something unique.

My challenge is that VM has potentially removed the need for stand-alone VSTs that can built. OK, maybe there's some efficiencies that can be gained, but VM appears able to cope with a big workload.

I'm not saying that I'm right, this is just an opinion to draw out the benefits of a stand-alone VST instrument that could be build reasonably well within VM. As I say, I am already bought into using stand-alone instruments completely outside of my DAW where that brings me benefits.
rfj

Post by rfj »

SpaceDog wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:24 am Can I offer a challenge to this...? Why do we need a polyphonic Moog modular...? And, why do we need a stand-alone VST...? There are a LOT of polyphonic modules that can get you what you likely need within VM, or as an instrument, already - for example, CA do a Poly Vintage Oscillator and MRB does a POLY "Mood" filter. Also, the VM ecosystem can operate truly standalone (i.e. not VST), if needed, and the VM900 modules work instantly in either configuration. Just being a stand-alone VST offers few advantages over using VM as a VST.

If needed, you can already do three-note paraphonic with the VM900, but true polyphonic is a whole different game. Even the Polymoog was Paraphonic, not Polyphonic.

I do use truly stand-alone instruments that need to be piped into my DAW and I'm comfortable doing that because they give me something unique.

My challenge is that VM has potentially removed the need for stand-alone VSTs that can built. OK, maybe there's some efficiencies that can be gained, but VM appears able to cope with a big workload.

I'm not saying that I'm right, this is just an opinion to draw out the benefits of a stand-alone VST instrument that could be build reasonably well within VM. As I say, I am already bought into using stand-alone instruments completely outside of my DAW where that brings me benefits.
Sorry. I used the term standalone by mistake. I meant VST indpendent of VM.

My point was that apart from the somewhat limited virtual Moog by Arturia and this misterious P 900 there are no other self contained VST emulating a Moog modular. So in my humble opinion this could be a market niche for Cherry Audio. Being poly such VST would represent a plus for existing VM 900 Users.
SpaceDog

Post by SpaceDog »

rfj wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:12 pm
Sorry. I used the term standalone by mistake. I meant VST indpendent of VM.

My point was that apart from the somewhat limited virtual Moog by Arturia and this misterious P 900 there are no other self contained VST emulating a Moog modular. So in my humble opinion this could be a market niche for Cherry Audio. Being poly such VST would represent a plus for existing VM 900 Users.
I did get that you meant a VST instrument not hosted within VM, I was just jabbering around the point in my response :D

I'll get to the key point, and I did veer away from it deliberately. That was the one about it being a market niche. The Arturia Modular V already exists and fills that niche quite comfortably, and it handles polyphony (up to 32 voices, I think). Of course, it fills that niche at a price point that a lot of people don't want to pay - although that Pulsar is even more expensive.

As a general opinion, I'm not keen on CA creating cheaper (better value for money...?) standalone VST versions of what already exists in that form. Where they excel is in bringing interesting and/or rare instruments that haven't been considered within the grasp of normal people.

I would not buy a standalone VST version of VM900, even with polyphony; however, at the price point CA would undoubtedly offer, I'm sure many would. I just think the market niche would be price-dependent.
Meedily

Post by Meedily »

I wish cherry audio would simply release poly versions of the vm900 modules so we could quickly and easily create poly setups without having 90 modules cluttering up the screen.
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

Meedily wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:10 am I wish cherry audio would simply release poly versions of the vm900 modules so we could quickly and easily create poly setups without having 90 modules cluttering up the screen.
When I watched the interview yesterday as part of the GX-80 release, I gained valuable insights into (and appreciation for) the decision-making process Cherry Audio uses in choosing to implement features. If you haven' seen it, I'd recommend it. https://youtu.be/vvSrs5G9QO4?t=524

Return to “Voltage Modular”