Plaits for VM?

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
Jo Beatz

Plaits for VM?

Post by Jo Beatz »

Hi,

Is there a module in VM like or similar to the Plaits hardware module? I saw a video about building modular synths and liked the sounds from it.
utdgrant

Re: Plaits for VM?

Post by utdgrant »

No developers have created a direct port of the Mutable Instruments range, yet. I suspect it would be a VERY lucrative bundle if someone took the task on board. (I also predict that a knob-for-knob, switch-for-switch and socket-for-socket replication of Make Noise Maths would sell a metric shedload).

Nrgzr78 has created the Malleable Instruments Bundle, which replicates the feature sets of selected MI modules. However, these are feature-based emulations of analogue modules, not ports of the MI source code.

Post by Jo Beatz »

Yeah, that would certainly be the case. The Malleable Instruments Bundle looks very interesting, only has no oscillator module if I see that correctly? I also did some searching and came across the Wavetable Oscillator Bundle and the WF-Osc. After all, this plaits has all kinds of synthesis. :o This would definitely be a nice addition to VM.

Regards
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

To be honest I think Plaits tries to squeeze a little bit too much into a single quite small module. Which makes sense in hardware but not so much in software. But it's still nice.

Anyway, you can use VM's Plug-in Host to access a port of Plaits.

It's not very elegant as you need to install Cardinal but here's a very basic patch showing how you might do it...

CardinalInsideVM.png
CardinalInsideVM.png (534.9 KiB) Viewed 1791 times
Jo Beatz

Post by Jo Beatz »

Oh, nice! I will definitely take a look at that.

Regards
rfj

Post by rfj »

Many modules from Mutable Instruments included Plaits have been ported to VCV Rack and are also free.
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

rfj wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:50 am Many modules from Mutable Instruments included Plaits have been ported to VCV Rack and are also free.
Indeed but to run VCV Rack as a VST inside VM (or a DAW) you need to spend $149.

Cardinal is a derivative of VCV Rack that can be run as a VST inside VM at no cost.
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

Another way to access Plaits like functionality in VM is to run Surge XT in a Plugin Host and set one of the oscillators to "Twist" mode. You can then select any of the following engine types...

twist.png
twist.png (80.05 KiB) Viewed 1720 times

You can then use CV from VM to control any of the parameters via Surge's macro modulation.
huggermugger

Post by huggermugger »

ColinP wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:11 pm Another way to access Plaits like functionality in VM is to run Surge XT in a Plugin Host and set one of the oscillators to "Twist" mode. You can then select any of the following engine types...
I wasn't particularly interested in Surge until I read this. Now, I'm interested. :)
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

huggermugger wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:02 am I wasn't particularly interested in Surge until I read this. Now, I'm interested. :)
Surge XT is pretty awesome, especially when you use it as essentially just another little module in VM.

More and more I'm shifting to viewing VM as a fantastic system for gluing stuff together rather than as a standalone thing. This approach works really well with LSSP as it massively simplifies patches because "instruments" are hidden inside Host Plug-in modules. There are technical inadequencies but this isn't the place to discuss these.

Surge XT is perhaps not for everyone though as it's so deep - the following video shows a good overview yet it skips over lots of detail even though it's nearly two and a half hours long.

https://youtu.be/kTvBgb4HGx0

Return to “Voltage Modular”