Weird QIO tuning glitch

huggermugger

Weird QIO tuning glitch

Post by huggermugger »

I'm trialling the QIO/Quantizer combo (which I love, btw!) but I've run into a problem. I created a patch that sweeps/crossfades thru eight oscillators that have been quantized/tuned to a minor scale by passing fixed DC values into QIO. When I built the patch, it sounded lovely, a succession of thirds up and down. But when I reload the patch, the tuning is off, very microtonal (tbh, it also sounds lovely, in a Wendy Carlos kind of way). It's kind of like the DC values are getting re-applied to the final tuning of the oscillators.

In this video link, you'll hear it starting out with the problem tuning. Then, when I turn off the QIO buttons, you'll hear it sounding correct, the way it sounded when I first built and saved the patch. Finally, when I reactivate QIO, the problem returns. This can't be right, surely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiLBUpeZKY4

I tried swapping out standard Cherry oscillators in the patch as it was playing, and they were equally out of tune right away, so I don't think the vintage oscillators are 'remembering' the funky tuning. It seems to point to a glitch in the CV output from the Quantizer/QIO combination.
huggermugger

Re: Weird QIO tuning glitch

Post by huggermugger »

Ah well, radio silence from this developer both here and in the main FB VM User Group. Too bad, this module is unique and exactly what I was looking for. Haven't bought the module, and unlikely to buy anything else from him.

Return to “Ben Davis”