tutorials 3 and 5 don't work on MacOS

TheGarnet

Re: tutorials 3 and 5 don't work on MacOS

Post by TheGarnet »

zipb wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:44 pm I was taught electronic music using modular systems in the late seventies.
Hi Zip!

I wish someone would have exposed me to modular or electronic music back then.

When I was ten years old, I had three transistors in a Radio Shack 100-in-1 electronics kit, and I made every sound making project the kit offered. Then I would add in every spare component in the kit into the circuits in various ways, making the sounds wilder and wilder.

I was trying to figure out a transistor circuit that could remember a series of numbers, iterate through them, and turn the numbers into voltages and then into tones. I didnt know that was called a sequencer. No one had exposed me to IC chips yet, that didnt come until about four years later with Byte Magazine. In grade school, I was trying to draw a transistor circuit of the modern day musical greeting card!

I wish someone had connected all that to music for me. I hated music class taught with recorders and singing right along with all my friends.

Other than Reason, and a handful of synths bought over the years, I never got hooked enough to learn to play, and I totally missed all this modular stuff until last summer. Dont know how I missed it all for so long, but am now hooked.

- Garnet
UrbanCyborg

Re: tutorials 3 and 5 don't work on MacOS

Post by UrbanCyborg »

Still, sounds like you had a great hand-on introduction to the circuits behind the music. My introduction to electronic music in Vladimir Ussachevsky's Electronic Music class (mostly taught by Tracy Petersen) had us doing tape editing. I mean, editing by slicing up tape with razor blades. For example, an envelope generator was a piece of pre-recorded audio tape sliced the long way into the shape of an envelope, then carefully glued onto a piece of blank tape so it would feed through the tape heads. I suppose you can get more low-tech than that, but it's hard to see how. :D There was a modular synth in the lab, built especially to Ussachevsky's specification.

My exposure to computer music was in Dr. Ercolino Ferretti's seminar over in the CS department. I wrote a Music V work-alike in C from written descriptions of the original platform for that one.

Reid
Cyberwerks Heavy Industries -- viewforum.php?f=76

Return to “Adroit Synthesis”