Bug in naming in Perform Module

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
DoctorG

Bug in naming in Perform Module

Post by DoctorG »

Hello,
I noticed that if I pick a control (a knob, for example) in a module, right click, Perform Assign, Knob 1 (for example)... then knob 1 is renamed to the name of the knob I've just assigned to it.

Ok - that makes sense.

However, if I then assign to performance "None" the perform module knob retains the name. You'd expect it to change back to Knob 1 (or whatever).

Also, if I assign some other knob to a knob in the Perform Module, the new name is not overwritten. I.e. I can only change the name once whereas I'd expect it to change each time I assign a knob.

Same problem with buttons.

Very best regards...
gary
JX3D

Re: Bug in namign in Perform Module

Post by JX3D »

I like it the way it works. I dont think its a bug. Would be annoying if it changed after you gave the knob a good name, and you needed to assign it differently.
My music projects: https://soundcloud.com/jx3d
DoctorG

Post by DoctorG »

Hi jx3d,
let me give a more concrete example that I think shows this up...

Let's say I associate a perform module knob with a knob labelled "Frequency". The perform knob gets the name "Frequency". Ok - that makes sense.

Now let's say I change my mind for some reason, remove the association with "Frequency" and now associate the Performance module knob with "Decay". I would expect the knob to get the new name "Decay". However, the name "Frequency" persists, which is find very strange.

Very best regards...
gary
JX3D

Post by JX3D »

Yes I understand what you mean, but the other way around, if setting a name for example in Russian or other languages, it is smart that new assignments doesn't change that. You could also have modules that uses other knob titles like EG, where you would use another name. Well... I like it how it works but also understand why you don't. So if CA changes this function, I hope they make it optional.
DoctorG

Post by DoctorG »

Hi JX3D,
A moment ago I wondered if it is possible to double click the name and change it manually. Turns out that it is.

So one could actually use any name.

Very best regards...
gary
JX3D

Post by JX3D »

Oh yes, I thought you new that - well I learned it recently too ;-)
See then its usable that the name doesn't change after first being defined?
DoctorG

Re: Bug in naming in Perform Module

Post by DoctorG »

Hi there,
yes - it's usable. Just a bit strange... :-)

very best regards...
gary

Return to “Voltage Modular”