Recording Automation

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
dreikelvin

Recording Automation

Post by dreikelvin »

I just tried recording knob moves in Cubase...and it doesn't seem to record anything? Is this a bug or is Voltage not capable of writing and receiving automation?
huggermugger

Re: Recording Automation

Post by huggermugger »

In Logic, I start by rightclicking the VM parameter and choosing Automation Assign. Then pick a number. You'll have a chance to name it at this point. Next, in the popup list of automation parameters in the Logic track, that number and name are visible and automation works great.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-08-11 at 5.54.54 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-08-11 at 5.54.54 PM.jpg (1.28 MiB) Viewed 761 times
dreikelvin

Post by dreikelvin »

That's it! I am so spoiled by "regular" VST's that it did not occur to me I needed to do that extra step :D

Thanks so much!
huggermugger

Post by huggermugger »

dreikelvin wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:48 am That's it! I am so spoiled by "regular" VST's that it did not occur to me I needed to do that extra step :D

Thanks so much!
In a regular VST, the parameters are fixed - maybe there's a filter, an envelope, an LFO, etc. But they're hardwired into the VST interface. VM is a modular system, and it's impossible to predict what modules you'll be using in a patch. So the system is designed to let you customize the automatable parameters (128 of them if you like). It's actually quite brilliant. :)

Return to “Voltage Modular”