MIDI IN module, various problems.

DoctorG

MIDI IN module, various problems.

Post by DoctorG »

Hello,
I'm trying to use the MIDI INPUT module to control (pitch, mainly) a patch from a MIDI keyboard. I have 4 MIDI sources but only 2 are keyboards.

There are several problems with this module...

The documentation at
https://docs.cherryaudio.com/cherry-audio/midi-input
is not up to date. Hint: There is now a MIDI IN socket as well as MIDI OUT.

That's the easy problem. After that it gets very strange. I've created a minimal patch with MIDI INPUT module and oscilloscope. The MIDI IN's gate is connected to the 'scope so that I can see if MIDI key press messages get through.

In the absense of documentation I'm doing some experimenting.

Here's what I just tried...

The MIDI IN's "MIDI IN" connector is not connected to anything. I assume that the "SELECT MIDI DEVICE" button selects the MIDI device.
If I leave the MIDI device as "No Device" I see no key presses. OK - that's fine.
If I select the device to be my "Yamaha UX16" then I can see no key presses - sometimes. Well, ok... maybe I've misunderstood the function of "SELECT MIDI DEVICE".
If I then select my Novation keyboard I can see no key presses - sometimes. Well, ok... maybe I've misunderstood the function of "SELECT MIDI DEVICE".
Selecting the UX16 again hung VM. Hmm... That's not what I'd expect. Force quit time.

Start again. Same setup.
This time MIDI input stopped working on the main panel at the top, but VM did not hang.

Without getting too long winded, this is a pattern with VM and the MIDI INPUT module. Initially it does not behave sensibly and when I start to fiddle with its settings either VM hangs or I lose all MIDI input.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks...
gary

TBH, after not using VM for a couple of years and returning to it recently, this is the first patch I've made and VM misbehaves and hangs. Not impressed...
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Re: MIDI IN module, various problems.

Post by cherryaudio Greg »

Hi,

Are you using Voltage Modular v2.5.5?

I see what you're saying about the documentation, I'll pass that along.

Greg
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

Experiences related to Windows removed. Original post was revealed to be about Macs.
Last edited by Steve W on Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
DoctorG

Post by DoctorG »

cherryaudio Greg wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:10 pm Hi,

Are you using Voltage Modular v2.5.5?

I see what you're saying about the documentation, I'll pass that along.

Greg
Hi Greg,
sorry - I should have mentioned. I'm using 2.5.5 on MacOS Big Sur.

Many thanks...
gary
DoctorG

Post by DoctorG »

Steve W wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:19 pm Experiences related to Windows removed. Original post was revealed to be about Macs.
Sorry to have wasted your time, Steve. But thanks for replying...

Very best regards...
gary
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Post by cherryaudio Greg »

Hi,

Thanks for reporting these issues, we'll be taking a look at the MIDI In module.

I found on Windows that I couldn't use the "Select MIDI Device" option if I had the MIDI device enabled in Voltage Modular's Audio/MIDI setting. If the MIDI device is enabled there, I could use a cable for MIDI From Host. If I disabled it, I could use the selector. I haven't had a chance to test it on a Mac yet.

Anyway, we're looking into it, and we'll get the docs updated.

Greg
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

DoctorG wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:57 pm
Steve W wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:19 pm Experiences related to Windows removed. Original post was revealed to be about Macs.
Sorry to have wasted your time, Steve. But thanks for replying...

Very best regards...
gary
Not really a waste of time of for me. I have explored possible uses for the midi in and midi out modules before, so it was a good opportunity for me to revisit the midi in module. I have had issues with midi and VM before and with this exploration I had a chance to try to reconstruct them. I saved my post locally as a text file so I have them for the next time I want to use the midi in module.

I wanted to delete the post because Windows has its own issues handling midi and I assume (from what I've seen elsewhere) Mac does, too, and I didn't want to draw additional attention from what might be unique to Macs.

Thanks for the opportunity to clarify this.

Return to “Cherry Audio”