Create Circuit from Modules

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
Bigcat75

Create Circuit from Modules

Post by Bigcat75 »

Hey guys/gals,

Quick question: once I build a "synth" containing multiple modules, is there a way to create a "circuit" out of them so that I can interact with it holistically; similar to how Reaktor works? Reason why I ask is because I use a laptop and am looking for ways to free up screen real estate while I continue to build out my synths. No biggie if not, but I thought I'd ask.

Thanks in advance!! :)
ColinP

Re: Create Circuit from Modules

Post by ColinP »

If I understand you correctly, you're looking to build multi-level patches where complexity is hidden inside "black boxes".

If so this can be achieved by running instances of Voltage Modular inside Voltage Modular by using the Plug-In Host modules found in VM Core.

There's a page about this this on my website...

https://www.adroitsynthesis.com/managing-complexity/
Bigcat75

Post by Bigcat75 »

Ok wow, I never thought of that!! Gonna review your site and try that now!! Quite honestly I much prefer the purest UI of VM versus Reaktor as it relates to building patches, but screen real estate (or the limit thereof, lol) is a PITA!! Cheers and thx again!! 😊
boingy

Post by boingy »

Bigcat75 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:51 pm Hey guys/gals,

Quick question: once I build a "synth" containing multiple modules, is there a way to create a "circuit" out of them so that I can interact with it holistically; similar to how Reaktor works? Reason why I ask is because I use a laptop and am looking for ways to free up screen real estate while I continue to build out my synths. No biggie if not, but I thought I'd ask.

Thanks in advance!! :)
You probably already know about them but the other thing you can do is arrange large functional "blocks" of your design in horizontal rows, which VM calls cabinets. Cabinets can be saved to your library, keeping all the wiring intact except for wires that connect to things outside that cabinet. I have loads of cabinets, typically a single voice in each one. They all have one or more labelled multiples in the leftmost slot, which is where I bring all the external connections together (e.g. pitch, gate, trig, clock in and audio out). You can't hide or collapse cabinets, although that would be a handy feature, but you can put them off the bottom of the screen. Not ideal but it really helps me stay organised with big patches.

It would be really neat if Cherry would add a module that can "hold" a cabinet and present the common i/o connections on the front panel along with a few macro knobs and buttons, essentially folding a cabinet into a rack space a few inches wide. It always feels a bit messy to run VM inside itself, although I do it sometimes.

Return to “Voltage Modular”