Love the OB Clone. How do I learn to write my own? Pointers?

Cherry Audio’s Eight Voice polyphonic synthesizer meticulously emulates the immense sound of the Oberheim Eight Voice, one of the world’s rarest and most desirable vintage instruments.
MobBoog

Love the OB Clone. How do I learn to write my own? Pointers?

Post by MobBoog »

I bought 8 voice in the promo. It's been 15 years since I actually recorded and worked on things in a studio. OMG. This is awesome. It is fabulous. I am SUPER inspired.

I'm a coder by profession. I want to write softsynths like this and I learn that VST is no longer a thing lol. I would LOVE to write one for Cherry Audio one day ideally but ..... where do I begin? I found something on writing a synth for the ESP32 ( I work with that) but want to do this on the native Windows platform. Are there audio oscillator libraries? Please don't say CSound.com

Mob.
ColinP

Re: Love the OB Clone. How do I learn to write my own? Pointers?

Post by ColinP »

It's actually pretty easy to start developing modules for Voltage Modular.

Take a look at

https://cherryaudio.com/products/voltag ... e-designer

Modules created with Designer automatically work on both Windows and Mac but only within the Voltage Modular application. But that's not a big hurdle as users can get the entry level Voltage Modular package for free and Voltage Modular will run both standalone or as a VST.

If you're used to coding a Microcontroller then you'll find it quite straight forward getting a simple module up and running. Designer also includes a library with basic oscillators etc.
utdgrant

Post by utdgrant »

I second Colin's suggestion. The Voltage Modular Designer environment is free of charge, along with VM Nucleus. In fact, you don't even need to buy a manufacturer's license in order to publish your own modules within your own VM library.

There are a few quirks you have to learn in order to create your first custom module, but CA have done a great job overall in building a developer-friendly infrastructure. There are tutorials online to get you up and running, and most developers are happy to answer questions in the Module Designer sub-forum if you get stuck.

If you have any experience with C and C++, Java is very easy to pick up. TBH, it's so close, I just treat it like C++ and forget that it's Java 99.9% of the time.

I'd definitely give it a whirl. VMD takes care of the drudgery, leaving you to concentrate on the core functionality of your module, and the front panel design.

Post by MobBoog »

To Colin and UT,

Thank you so much, I will delve into this much more - I was unaware of the application but this looks perfect - I just want a good place to start and this app looks ideal.

Thank you both again and I am off to lurk in the forums to see what else I can learn. Thank you for being welcoming to the community.

Mob.

Return to “Eight Voice Synthesizer”