Adjusting Audio/CV Range

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
Amine_Belkhouche

Adjusting Audio/CV Range

Post by Amine_Belkhouche »

Hey everyone,

I was experimenting with using a sequencer as an oscillator by using the steps to create the waveform shape while using an oscillator to read that shape using the external clock.
Sequencer Oscillator.png
Sequencer Oscillator.png (318.47 KiB) Viewed 7468 times
As you can see the range of the output is from 0 to 5 CV which is the range of the sliders in the sequencer. My question is, how do I subtract 2.5 volts so that I can get the waveform to straddle 0 volts? I am not talking about attenuation here, I'd like to figure out how I could get those values to output -2.5 to 2.5 volts and then perhaps amplify that so that I can adjust the waveform so that it outputs -5 to 5 volts. I remember modifying signals in such a way in Pure Data but I don't know how to do it in VM.

While I recognize this may not be important in this particular application, I still wanted to know because I feel like this would be a useful thing to have in the toolbox. Please let me know and thank you!
huggermugger

Re: Adjusting Audio/CV Range

Post by huggermugger »

Andrew Macaulay's Voltage Processor does it for me. First I applied a DC offset of -2.5v. Then I used a Trim value of +6dB to double the amplitude, effectively restoring the full dynamic range of the signal. There are surely other ways to do it as well.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-06-14 at 1.22.25 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-06-14 at 1.22.25 PM.png (525.78 KiB) Viewed 7463 times
Amine_Belkhouche

Hey huggermugger,

I just saw your other reply! Much appreciated, that's definitely a convenient set-up!
UrbanCyborg

Post by UrbanCyborg »

Benard's Map Range and Poly Map Range will do it in one module.

Reid
Cyberwerks Heavy Industries -- viewforum.php?f=76
utdgrant

Post by utdgrant »

If you have Voltage Modular Core edition, you could try messing around with this 'graphical waveshaper' patch I made using the Eight-To-One Switch.

UrbanCyborg wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:53 pm Benard's Map Range and Poly Map Range will do it in one module.

Reid
Thank you, I just took a look at this and it looks like an easy to implement what I had in mind for other applications as well.
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

You can use two cables to double the 0..5V to 0..10V then add -5V using the DC Source module...
times2minus5.png
times2minus5.png (386.9 KiB) Viewed 7445 times
Amine_Belkhouche

ColinP wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:20 pm You can use two cables to double the 0..5V to 0..10V then add -5V using the DC Source module...
Brilliant! Thank you for showing me this.
honki-bobo

Post by honki-bobo »

Scaling and offsetting a signal in VM Nucleus:

viewtopic.php?t=2140
Monkey Business Audio
Modules - Music - Twitter - YouTube
Amine_Belkhouche

honki-bobo wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:43 am Scaling and offsetting a signal in VM Nucleus:

viewtopic.php?t=2140
Thank you for this, I just gave this a try and saved it as a cabinet. I also subscribed to your YT channel!

Return to “Voltage Modular”