DC Offset

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
ColinP

Re: DC Offset

Post by ColinP »

Interesting observations from Grant.

With or without DC bias, modules like certain VCFs with highly non-linear behaviour open up the possibility of being creative with signal path order. For example...

VCF->VCA

VCA->VCF

...will sound slightly different if the VCF responds differently to differing signal levels. The second one will sound more interesting than the first.

If we have two VCAs, one handling envelope and another handling velocity then..

VCF->EnvVCA->VelVCA

EnvVCA->VCF->VelVCA

VelVCA->VCF->EnvVCA

EnvVCA->VelVCA->VCF

...will all sound subtly different.

It might be so subtle as to be inaudible with some VCFs mind you.
utdgrant

Post by utdgrant »

ColinP wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:06 am With or without DC bias, modules like certain VCFs with highly non-linear behaviour open up the possibility of being creative with signal path order. For example...

...will all sound subtly different.

It might be so subtle as to be inaudible with some VCFs mind you.
I found the 1047 filter from VM2500 to be particularly sensitive to position in the audio chain (YT link). I didn't include it in my 'Filter Shootout' experiment because it's only a 12dB slope.

It reminds me of how the order of stomp boxes can have a major effect (ha!) in the final sound.

A guitar which is flanged, delayed then distorted will sound a lot different to one which is distorted, delayed and flanged.

Post by ColinP »

Nice videos.

On stomp boxes, yes totally right. I'm reminded of the effects in my Novation synth which is pretty insane for a non-modular setup. It has 18 different ways of arranging the stereo delay, reverb and chorus/flanger/phaser units. Although unfortunately the distortion, EQ, comb filter and panner have fixed routing.

Return to “Voltage Modular”