Minimode vs. Memorymode?

Memorymode is based upon one of the very best-sounding polyphonic programmable analog synthesizers of the 80s, the legendary Memorymoog synthesizer.
Rabid

Minimode vs. Memorymode?

Post by Rabid »

Has anyone put together a table that shows the differences in these two VSTi's?

Just happens that I was gigging with these two keyboards along with a Rhodes Chroma back in the early 80's. I have SynthStack 2 with Memorymode, but because of my history with the actual keyboards I will probably end up getting Minimode.

PS: Would LOVE a Rhodes Chroma VSTi.
wwjdx

Re: Minimode vs. Memorymode?

Post by wwjdx »

haven't done a spreadsheet, but if you used them both for real, you understand the main differences, I bet.
there's a little crossover (like most synths) but each has their strengths and weaknesses.

they don't SOUND the same to be, but I'm more after the nostalgic controls and flow.\

better just buy both of them. :D
ThirdManZither

Post by ThirdManZither »

+1 on the Rhodes Chroma. Now that they've done the Synthex, creating a VSTi for another rare polysynth that sounds better and that no one else has attempted should be at the top of their to-do list! ;)
UrbanCyborg

Post by UrbanCyborg »

I did my gigging with MemoryMoogs, so naturally, I prefer them. Totally awesome synths, and I never had a problem doing covers that were originally done with other synths (or instruments in general); the MemoryMoog was great at imitating any of them. I dunno how many guitar, violin, sax, and even bagpipe parts I covered. Like the keyboard player in Spinal Tap said when asked to take over Nigel's guitar parts, "Yeah, I got two hands." :D Lots of fun doing ELP, Kansas, you name it.

As for comparative differences, the MemoryMode has full ADSR envelopes, where the [b}Miniverse[/b] doesn't, and they have pretty much the same filters, which is the part that has the biggest effect on the sound (I'm quoting Mark Barton here). For my taste, the MemoryMode has a somewhat more involved and capable signal flow, if you want to take advantage of it. It certainly has better keyboard modes than the Miniverse.

Reid
Cyberwerks Heavy Industries -- viewforum.php?f=76

Return to “Memorymode Synthesizer”