Requirements for JDK location on OSX?

josephbottinger

Requirements for JDK location on OSX?

Post by josephbottinger »

I have Module Designer installed; i also have a number of JVMs installed, in ~/tools/candidates/java/ . I selected one of the candidates (11.0.6, from adoptopenjdk) and yet Module Designer tells me over and over again that java isn't telling it what version it's running. I looked at the logs and it has the same message, without telling me what command is being run, or what the output of the command (if any) is.

The output from java -version is:

openjdk version "11.0.6" 2020-01-14
OpenJDK Runtime Environment AdoptOpenJDK (build 11.0.6+10)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM AdoptOpenJDK (build 11.0.6+10, mixed mode)

... how can I build my modules? What am I missing?
honki-bobo

Re: Requirements for JDK location on OSX?

Post by honki-bobo »

Hi Joseph,

I'm not 100% sure about VMD on OSX, but on Windows VMD looks for the Java tools in the path set in the JAVA_HOME environment variable. What I have done is I've downloaded the recent OpenJDK, like written here: https://cherryaudio.com/voltage-module-designer/install , then unpacked the ZIP file and set my JAVA_HOME environment variable to that folder, in my case "E:\Installer\Cherry Audio\Java\jdk-13.0.2" . To be able to run the same JRE from the Windows command line, I've also added "E:\Installer\Cherry Audio\Java\jdk-13.0.2\bin\" to my PATH variable.

For more information on how to set environment variables on OSX, see here: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/135 ... es-on-os-x
Monkey Business Audio
Modules - Music - Twitter - YouTube
josephbottinger

Re: Requirements for JDK location on OSX?

Post by josephbottinger »

Thank you, but my $JAVA_HOME is set properly (and points to the actual system directory I set in the VMD preferences). In any event, I'd expect the *explicit* directory set in the preferences to override $JAVA_HOME or anything else.

Is there a way to get more debugging information out of VMD? Maybe if I could see the command line it's actually executing - and what results it's getting such that it's confused - I could debug it better.

Return to “Module Designer”