Too many tool-tips?

terrymcg

Too many tool-tips?

Post by terrymcg »

Hi Folks...

I'm working on a module that has a number of sliders which can move automatically in response to an external input (as well/instead of manually). It all seems to work as expected, but occasionally, there are moments when tool-tip bubbles for one or more of the sliders are displayed:

While this doesn't seem to cause any problems it looks a bit odd, and I worry about how "expensive" it might be (processing wise). Would it/could it be possible to disable tool-tip display for specific controls via a method? "ShowToolTips(boolean yesno)" or something to that effect?

Cheers,
--
Terry McG
terrymcg

Re: Too many tool-tips?

Post by terrymcg »

FWIW, I've worked around this by changing the components I'm using, but still think it would be nice to be able to disable the tips if needed.

Cheers,
--
Terry McG
Benard

Post by Benard »

I agree that it would be useful to be able to disable the tooltips.

The way I've gotten around it for some of my new modules is by setting a variable to true when I engage the animation of the faders or knobs. Then in GetTooltipText I check the value of this variable, and if true, I return null for the animated components. Not sure if this is the best way to do it, but seems to work.

The only caveat is that occasionally, though rarely, you still get a flash of update tags for a moment when you disengage the animation, but at least it happens just once.
terrymcg

Post by terrymcg »

Hi Bernard...

Ahh... very clever, thanks for the tip!

FWIW, for the module I was working on I made the faders transparent and overlayed them on vu meters. No tool tips for the meters (output), and transparent objects still collect mouse events so the invisible sliders work as inputs.

Wouldn't work for knobs though, or even for every slider, so I'll keep your suggestion in mind for later use!

Thanks again,
--
Terry McG

Return to “Module Designer”