how to use a backslash in a textlabel

ColinP

Re: how to use a backslash in a textlabel

Post by ColinP »

An update.

Being always keen to sort out bugs I published the "test \\ test" test module and downloaded it into VM proper and it shows as test \ test.
UrbanCyborg

Post by UrbanCyborg »

ColinP, I think you're right about it not being a Windows problem. I just had in mind the odd behavior you can get in quoted strings when passing paths or things like DDE parameters in Windows, and the presence of a third piece of software like an editor can occasionally play games with escaped characters. But you're right, this probably isn't that. I should know better than to butt into a discussion of a language like Java that I haven't used in far too long.
On another note, while I didn't start using C for a few years after 1972, I did learn Fortran, Cobol, and System 370 Assembly in 1971. I'd betcha a beer, though, that there is someone on the forum who did learn something like Algol in 1958. :)
BTW, been going through the tutorials from your site; really interesting stuff. Maybe one of these days we can bat some ideas around, after I have more of a handle on VM.
Cyberwerks Heavy Industries -- viewforum.php?f=76
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

Hi UrbanCyborg,

Yup, the treatment of / and \ in pathnames has been a pain for a long while. I started out in CP/M and have used many OS but wish everyone one would just settle on UNIX as a base model.

I did some stuff in Cobol and a tiny bit in Fortran (both horrible languages) but System 370 Assembly is well before my time. My assembler work was with 6502, Z80, 68000 and 80x86.

You might like to look at this for nostalgia's sake...

http://bitsavers.org/pdf/ibm/370/princO ... _Sep87.pdf

It's a photocopy of the 558 page IBM 370 manual and may bring back happy memories.

It's interesting that the 370 had a 32 bit architecture, floating point registers and virtual memory. Far out stuff for those days.

Anyone who used Algol is probably in their 80's so the bet for a beer is on. :D

I'm always interested is discussing ideas so drop me a line whenever you like.
seal58

Post by seal58 »

Hi UrbanCyborg,

meanwhile several old stuff programmers gave a short view on their former live in this forum. I've been working with Z80 Assembler too, further a bit with FORTRAN, BASIC, FORTH, C, dBASE, S5 and later mostly Turbo PASCAL and MEDOC. All languages are basically similar, but have it's own specifics.
So change to JAVA is still rather difficult to me, because I'm not really familiar with Object Oriented Programming yet.
Thanks God that this forum gives much help for freaks and also for newbees.

By the way, I still own some historical items: punched cards, punched paper tape, 8" floppy disc (128 kB), 5 1/4" floppy disc (1.2 MB), 5 1/4" hard disc (65 MB), 1/2" magnetic tape and some others. Sometimes I show these things to young people who never saw even a floppy disc before.

Roland
UrbanCyborg

Post by UrbanCyborg »

I used to have two decks of punched cards I'd repurposed for flash cards when I was learning German, Lo these many moons ago, but long ago tossed them during a move. Sorta wish I still had them; they were better flash cards than anything else I've seen. Still have tons of 5.25" and 3.5" floppies. Ah, dem wuz da days.
Cyberwerks Heavy Industries -- viewforum.php?f=76

Return to “Module Designer”