3 MIDI to CV modules for hardware controllers supporting parameter feedback

AndreasFranke

3 MIDI to CV modules for hardware controllers supporting parameter feedback

Post by AndreasFranke »

Hi Voltage Modulers.
A few weeks ago I startet to build my first 3 modules for VM. I build them for my personal use, but maybe they are interesting for some of you also. Because of the fact, that I like to control modules via hardware MIDI controllers I have build 3 different MIDI value to CV converters, wich first support MIDI channels in its MIDI learn function (VM internal MIDI learning ignores it), so I can use more complex hardware controller setups and second my modules send parameter feedback to the connected hardware controller. This is the main reason why I build this modules, now every time I change something inside VM, my controllers (Behringer XTouch Mini / Behringer BCR2000) are always correctly updated and vice versa. Also after preset and/or variation switching inside VM will update the connected controllers as expected.

ENC 2-FDBK
2 knobs/encoders(A/B)
2 cv out (A/B)
each controller: learn button, editable lable, midi data/parameter display

BTN 2-FDBK
2 buttons (A/B)
2 cv out (A/B)
each button: learn button, switch for momentary- or toggle behavior, editable lable, midi data/parameter display

ENCBTN FDBK
1 knob/encoder(A)
1 buttons (A)
2 cv out (A/B)
controller (A): learn button, editable lable, midi data/parameter display
button (B): learn button, switch for momentary- or toggle behavior, editable lable, midi data/parameter display

I'm really interested what you think, maybe I missed some essential feature.

Best regards
Andreas

Voltage_Modular_8N6fRqGWLo.jpg
Voltage_Modular_8N6fRqGWLo.jpg (688.31 KiB) Viewed 2622 times
creart

Re: 3 MIDI to CV modules for hardware controllers supporting parameter feedback

Post by creart »

Hey Andreas
Nice job! I bet more people will be interested in a module like this...
I have an old BCR2000 lying around myself that could do with something like this....
Maybe you could even try to rebuild the BCR2000 surface completely - break it up into sets, so it could be split up over cabinets, being above each other so as to look like the original without buttons having to be so small they would be unusable.....
And I'm sure other controllers could be rebuilt that way too...
Request for Music
AndreasFranke

Post by AndreasFranke »

creart wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 4:09 pm Maybe you could even try to rebuild the BCR2000 surface completely - break it up into sets, so it could be split up over cabinets, being above each other so as to look like the original without buttons having to be so small they would be unusable.....
Hey creart,
for shure, I thought about doing something like you mentioned above and my three little modules are build as a foundation for bigger ones eventually coming later. ;-) It's my first step in programming something of this kind and also my first steps in JAVA, but I had a good time doing it. :-)
Thanks for your thoughts, creart.
AndreasFranke

Post by AndreasFranke »

I made two short videos while I was testing the ENC 2-FDBK module with my X Touch Mini and BCR200

Testing ENC 2-FDBK Module with Behringer X Touch Mini: https://youtu.be/Oh7VF9IXKjE

Testing ENC 2-FDBK Module with BCR2000: https://youtu.be/3hCv7zY68lU
creart

Post by creart »

Cool!
cheers
Hans
Request for Music
AndreasFranke

Post by AndreasFranke »

Hello :D
I just have put my modules into Beta, If someone likes to try just send me your Email, so I can invite you.

Andreas
tgrey

Post by tgrey »

Wow... might something like this work with a Mackie MCU and/or C4?
AndreasFranke

Post by AndreasFranke »

tgrey wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 12:14 am Wow... might something like this work with a Mackie MCU and/or C4?
I don't own one of the controllers you listet, but I know they make use of special protocols. My modules where made for the Behringer BCR2000 and the X Touch Mini in mind, because those are the ones I own and use. Every controller that works in the same way also should work. The Behringer controllers send MIDI controller data via MIDI out to your software, as any other controller, but they listen on their MIDI IN connector to the same controller numbers too and so they can easy be updated by any software in a direct and uncomplicated manor. And because the X Touch Mini is a very affordable and available controller with endless encoders, LED rings and LED buttons, I decided to put my focus on this one at the moment. The upcoming BCR32 should also work, because it should be compatible to the good old and ugly ;-) as powerful BCR2000. These three modules are maybe just the start of more advanced ones, which are already in my mind and they are my first step into developing modules at all, so it might be take a little time. ;-)

One point should not be forgotten with my little modules is, that they do support the MIDI channel number, which is an important part of any controller message, until now VM MIDI mapping is still ignoring them and that's an real issue, if you want control more than one device with the same MIDI message, but on different MIDI channels via the same hardware controller, what I would like to do.
tgrey

Post by tgrey »

AndreasFranke wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 7:30 am ... but I know they make use of special protocols. My modules where made for the Behringer BCR2000 and the X Touch Mini in mind
At one point I'm pretty sure Behringer had made a few knock-offs of the Mackies that used the exact same special protocols, so I hoped maybe these did too.

That said, if I can find my manuals, I believe the Mackies can also boot into a pure midi CC mode. Perhaps I'd have better luck with that? But I'll be honest, I've never really used it ;)
AndreasFranke

Post by AndreasFranke »

tgrey wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:15 am
AndreasFranke wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 7:30 am ... but I know they make use of special protocols. My modules where made for the Behringer BCR2000 and the X Touch Mini in mind
At one point I'm pretty sure Behringer had made a few knock-offs of the Mackies that used the exact same special protocols, so I hoped maybe these did too.

That said, if I can find my manuals, I believe the Mackies can also boot into a pure midi CC mode. Perhaps I'd have better luck with that? But I'll be honest, I've never really used it ;)
Would be nice if you check this out, because this is a point of interest to me. If you can send me copies of the manuasl (pdf) you have via mail, this would be VERY kind! Maybe for later modules or feature updates.

Andreas

Return to “Module Designer”