Why a unique package name per module?

jgillmanjr

Why a unique package name per module?

Post by jgillmanjr »

Greetings!

The programmer's guide mentions that the package name should be unique per module, and I'm just curious what the reason is for this?

Admittedly I'm fresh to java (my background is in python), but it seems that unique package names wouldn't be required since modules are wrapped up into individual classes extending VoltageModule.

Thanks for any insight!

-Jason
A data engineer and pilot that occasionally makes sounds suitable for public consumption.

I've started making modules too!
creart

Re: Why a unique package name per module?

Post by creart »

I assume it's a matter of having unique identifiers for every single package, just as a new class needs a unique name?
Request for Music
jgillmanjr

Post by jgillmanjr »

But if the module's class name is unique, wouldn't that mitigate the need for a different package/namespace name per module?
A data engineer and pilot that occasionally makes sounds suitable for public consumption.

creart

Post by creart »

I don’t know.. it might have to do with how Cherry works with those modules.. all modules are uploaded to their server and transformed into optimized code (at least that’s what I understand).. so maybe they need the uniqye packages for that.. after all the package name is tested once you run it in VMD, when it exists you get a message..
Request for Music
jgillmanjr

Post by jgillmanjr »

Well, I think I found my answer.

It looks like the product is based on that. As a result, the demo volume module I built and the module I'm currently working on show as the same product, but just different builds.

This seems wonky, but I can at least understand why the different package names are needed.

Steve W

Post by Steve W »

jgillmanjr wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:21 pm It looks like the product is based on that.
that (above) = this (below)?
creart wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:04 am . . . all modules are uploaded to their server and transformed into optimized code . . .
Just curious. Trying to follow your thread in case I ever want to get into coding modules.
jgillmanjr

Post by jgillmanjr »

Steve,

To clarify, it appears as though the package name is what's used to identify the product in the developer dashboard.

So for example, before I changed the package names of the tutorial volume module and the other one I'm working on, both apparently fell under the same product, but as different builds as seen below.

But now that I gave them their own package names

Hope that helps!

Steve W

Post by Steve W »

jgillmanjr wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:41 pm Hope that helps!
Yes, I now understand. Thanks for taking the time to clarify with the images and an explanation of the differences.

Return to “Module Designer”