Custom SVG graphics -> issues

farbstoff-fabrik

Custom SVG graphics -> issues

Post by farbstoff-fabrik »

Hi there,

I am experiencing a lot of trouble with custom .svg graphics. When I have designed in Illustrator the following issues occur:

1) colors in illustrator are displayed differently in VMD
2) gradients are displayed differently
3) strokes are displayed differently
4) Opacity is displayed differently

I am breaking my head on this issue - for like 20+ hours already, and it's (let's say mildly) getting frustrating.

Is there anything I need to change when exporting, or any other tips?

Thanks in advance.

-Matt
creart

Re: Custom SVG graphics -> issues

Post by creart »

I experienced similar problems, so in the end I just created oversized png's and imported those....
It didn't take me that long to get annoyed enough to leave svg and go with png....
Apparently I'm not as patient as you :-)
Request for Music
honki-bobo

Post by honki-bobo »

Are you using the SVG inside a VoltageImage or as a knob/slider?

I use Inkscape to do my vector graphics. To use them in VMD I save them as "normal" SVG (not as Inkscape SVG). I don't know about Illustrator, but you could look for a similar output file format that omits everything Illustrator-related from the resulting SVG.

If necessary you can strip the SVG further down to the bare minimum using a XML- or text editor.
Monkey Business Audio
Modules - Music - Twitter - YouTube
farbstoff-fabrik

Post by farbstoff-fabrik »

The thing is that rescaling with SVG is just tighter then png. PNG works much quicker, yes. Knobman/skinman are perfect apps for that, but in the end - the pixelated graphics just didn't work for me within the VM environment. PNG takes me half an hour, SVG half a day. So I am doing something wrong.

"If necessary you can strip the SVG further down to the bare minimum using a XML- or text editor." That feels a lot like code :). I wish there was a simple manual/guide for basic operations to get best results in VM.

I did have a workaround, in the end I experienced in AI that "save-as" works perfectly for the background, and "export as" for the knobs. All in all - I am satisfied now with the results but the way to it was looooooooooooooong.

I'll do some more testing and if i find the best way, i'll post it right here.

In inkscape I experienced that my knobs "bounce". Perhaps that's the export problem?

Return to “Module Designer”