Module Designer released!

Cherry Garcia
Site Admin

Module Designer released!

Post by Cherry Garcia »

We have just released Module Designer to the public!

Learn more here:

https://cherryaudio.com/voltage-module-designer
antic604

Re: Module Designer released!

Post by antic604 »

Congrats! Looking forward to seeing what the community comes up with!

BTW, will all the 3rd party modules be paid or can we also expect free versions?
Cherry Garcia
Site Admin

Post by Cherry Garcia »

We are planning on allowing a couple of free modules per manufacturer at one time. There are already a bunch of developers hard at work and I expect around 20 new modules in the next week or so. (= Free is great - but we also have to make a living, like everyone else.
josep

Post by josep »

First of all thanks for this release! ...

... but i have some questions regarding the Module Designer demo version

Can i download the demo version, try to design some modules, and export them later to *my own* installation of Voltage Modular
(i.e.: * just for personal use* of the newly designed modules) without any problem/limitation? ... Or i will be able to only check module
designs inside the Module Designer demo but not in my own Voltage Modular installation?

EDIT: So sorry, but i have some more questions :| :cry:

01. Why despite having and order allowing me to download the demo i can not download from the links in the order page?
02. Why what has been added to my library, after confirming the order, is Voltage Modular v1.0.7 (2 times) and not Module Designer?
03. Why the button for download demo version has now gone from the Module Designer buying page?

BTW, link to how to install Module Designer in the order web page is wrong ... it should be https://cherryaudio.com/voltage-module-designer/install ... and not https://staging.webiste.cherryaudio.com ... er/install

josep.
NothanUmber

Post by NothanUmber »

Cherry Garcia wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:56 pm We are planning on allowing a couple of free modules per manufacturer at one time. There are already a bunch of developers hard at work and I expect around 20 new modules in the next week or so. (= Free is great - but we also have to make a living, like everyone else.
Even Apple allows developers to decide whether and how much they want to take for an app. Making the option to offer free modules a to-be-negotioated-we-might-allow-this-on-a-case-by-case-basis privilege sounds like something that I would expect to greatly limit your developer target audience.
There are a lot of interesting algorithms and code-pieces available publically. Taking these and wrapping them up in a payed for closed module would (depending on license) be illegal or at least bad style.
Of course it's your platform and you can set up the rules as you want. And if you only want to focus on commercial devs contributing to your library - ok. Just consider that generating money for CherryAudio isn't exactly what motivates people to spend their free time on. Nor do many people want / need to earn money with selling plugins - it's a hobby, they already have a job. Selling stuff as an individual just complicates things for most people regarding wage tax declarations etc.
And the contributions of hobbyists is what made the user libraries of Reaktor, Max, VCV etc. great - they all live from give-and-take.

Edit: If you don't want to use your store to host free plugins please consider to add a side loading capability. That would also reduce dependency on your server infrastructure. Which in turn would ease the mind of people (like me) who prefer "buy to own" over "temporary license that works as long as it is lucrative for us to keep our infrastructure running".
josep

Post by josep »

NothanUmber wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:11 am There are a lot of interesting algorithms and code-pieces available publically. Taking these and wrapping them up in a payed for closed module would (depending on license) be illegal or at least bad style.
Yes
NothanUmber wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:11 am And the contributions of hobbyists is what made the user libraries of Reaktor, Max, VCV etc. great - they all live from give-and-take.
+1
NothanUmber wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:11 am If you don't want to use your store to host free plugins please consider to add a side loading capability. That would also reduce dependency on your server infrastructure. Which in turn would ease the mind of people (like me) who prefer "buy to own" over "temporary license that works as long as it is lucrative for us to keep our infrastructure running".
+1
NothanUmber wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:11 am Of course it's your platform and you can set up the rules as you want.
Of course! ... the success or non-success of any product depends on people buying such product ;)
lalo

Post by lalo »

NothanUmber wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:11 am There are a lot of interesting algorithms and code-pieces available publically. Taking these and wrapping them up in a payed for closed module would (depending on license) be illegal or at least bad style.
Agree
NothanUmber wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:11 am And the contributions of hobbyists is what made the user libraries of Reaktor, Max, VCV etc. great - they all live from give-and-take.
+2
NothanUmber wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:11 am If you don't want to use your store to host free plugins please consider to add a side loading capability. That would also reduce dependency on your server infrastructure. Which in turn would ease the mind of people (like me) who prefer "buy to own" over "temporary license that works as long as it is lucrative for us to keep our infrastructure running".
+2
NothanUmber wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:11 am Of course it's your platform and you can set up the rules as you want.
Right, i'd suggest Cherryaudio to evaluate very well the possible side-effects of a Store-only oriented policy.
BTW how can i use my custom modules without uploading to the store? The same way i can do a custom external with Max or Pd, a Core macro and a Primary structure in Reaktor, a custom plugin made with Juce or iPlug...
whywhy

Post by whywhy »

I m agree with you folks !

I think, free modules, could give a sales boost for the core bundle.
I hope Cherry audio will release complex modules , payware.
Let the third part developers choose their own models, it will be positive for everybody.
After that, I understand the Cherry audio point of view, I think, and I'm agree with that, they want to have a kind of quality in their store, it's why , before releasing a third part modules, they want to test it before approving the release and , that, have a cost.
Perhaps, some payware modules for the cherry store and some free , a free database for all the others.
Personally, I prefer to paid for a quality modules, free of bugs, and I m ready to donate for a complex module made by a hobbyist dev, without a company , taxes....
But I'm not ready to beta test a lot of free modules with an average quality.
Quality over quantity.

About the module designer, I think, it's a fantastic tool, but it's a little to expensive, let's see how it will turn....
More CV input and attenuators !
Cherry Garcia
Site Admin

Post by Cherry Garcia »

There are a few misunderstanding going on here:

1) People can use Module Designer for free to develop modules. They can use them in Module Designer and test them with any modules they own.
2) Devs need to buy a one time $99 Module Designer license in order to publish modules to be in Voltage Modular (Contrast this to Apple's $200/yr)
3) Additionally, when you publish a module to our store (requiring an approval process), we share revenue 70/30. 3rd party devs get 70% after credit card fees, etc. So there is a great opportunity to create and sell modules on our store, its not just for Cherry Audio. (= You don't have to submit your modules to the store, though.
4) We will allow developers to give away two free modules.
5) We have a demo mode option for all modules available to developers. This will automatically allow users to request a demo.
6) We store all the modules on our server and they are encrypted for each user.
7) We do have to QA the modules and verify that all modules are up to par.

Try it out. See what you can come up with. Its a great development experience.
lalo

Post by lalo »

Cherry Garcia wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:51 pm There are a few misunderstanding going on here:

1) People can use Module Designer for free to develop modules. They can use them in Module Designer and test them with any modules they own.
But how can i use my own modules in my own Voltage Modular?
Would be nice to bypass the Store publishing for this purpose.

thanks

Return to “Module Designer”