Problem setting custom background

UrbanCyborg

Problem setting custom background

Post by UrbanCyborg »

After much crashing and banging about in the underbrush, I managed to get PhotoShop to save my background art as an SVG file (they've deprecated their support for that, the bounders). Sadly, when I try to import it into the background in Module Designer, it fails to show up. However, I can load PNG versions of the same file successfully. Was gibt?
Cyberwerks Heavy Industries -- viewforum.php?f=76
UrbanCyborg

Re: Problem setting custom background

Post by UrbanCyborg »

Anyone?
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

It would be interesting to get a definitive answer from someone on this as so far I've only used PNG files.

Although *.svg is included in the select image dialog file type list maybe SVG isn't actually supported?

One possible clue is that there are standard and high resolution files. This doesn't make sense for scalable vectors so maybe only raster graphics are supported for backgrounds?
UrbanCyborg

Post by UrbanCyborg »

SVGs are supposed to be scaling-independent. I don't think PNGs are, so you still need two of them. The SVG I tried was of art scaled to 720 pixels vertical, and I applied it to both slots, since Module Designer won't let me get away with supplying only one.
ColinP

Post by ColinP »

UrbanCyborg wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:24 am SVGs are supposed to be scaling-independent. I don't think PNGs are, so you still need two of them. The SVG I tried was of art scaled to 720 pixels vertical, and I applied it to both slots, since Module Designer won't let me get away with supplying only one.
Yup, PNGs are just bitmaps so when you use them VM must select the closest of the two resolutions and resample the bitmap to fit the current zoom setting.

According to the CA documentation you should be able to use SVG files for backgrounds...
Choose this item to use images for your module’s background. You should add two versions of your background image, one at normal resolution (360 pixels tall) and one at high resolution (720 pixels tall and twice the module’s original width). The high-resolution version will be used on retina displays and when the zoom level is > 100%. Modules without hi-res backgrounds tend to look fuzzy at high zoom. If your source image is an SVG file with no embedded bitmaps, you only need to specify one background image.
https://docs.cherryaudio.com/voltage-mo ... und-dialog

But, presumably like you, when I try using SVG it just results in a plain black background.
UrbanCyborg

Post by UrbanCyborg »

Yup.
Cherryaudio Danny
Site Admin

Post by Cherryaudio Danny »

Hello,

Thanks for the posts. I'll do a bit of additional testing and forward this issue to the developers.
I'll update the thread when I have any news.

Danny

Return to “Module Designer”