Syncing VM plugin to my DAWs BPM

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
abarthur

Syncing VM plugin to my DAWs BPM

Post by abarthur »

Hi,

I am new to Voltage Modular and I was wondering if there is a way to sync the VM plugin to the BPMs in my DAW. I am using Cubase 10.5 Pro with a MacBook Pro, 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3.
Please let me know if you need any more info you need.

Thanks for your help!

Andy
xones2358

Re: Syncing VM plugin to my DAWs BPM

Post by xones2358 »

on top of the VM window you should see a socket named *sync out* (under *Transport*), from there you go synching stuff... to: for example the external clock input of a VM sequencer module - or inbetween connect a Sync divider module for more flexibility. good luck
Last edited by xones2358 on Wed May 27, 2020 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xones2358

Post by xones2358 »

you also may want to add cables from the *Play* and *Stop* output jacks of the *Transport* section to a Sequencer,so the playback follows your DAW...
schoekah

Post by schoekah »

there's some info in the user guide under the i/o section of the toolbar/sync
but it states that it still might not be in time
I can't find the official way, which involves using some modules like "sync to MIDI clock" which I think is part of the core bundle
dash glitch in one of his psytrance forest videos on youtube has an improvised way using drawing notes in MIDI in your DAW, then says he figured out the official way
it's also written down a few times here in the forum, if you search around a bit
abarthur

Post by abarthur »

Cool! Thanks for your responses!
I got a sync diver and did the suggestions, but nothing changed. I activated the purple EXT button( I attached a jpeg) on the external clock and it worked! I am new to modular synths. It seems really complicated, but it is very interesting and fun too. Thanks for making this a less painful process!

Thanks again!

Andy A.
Attachments
VM SCREEN.jpg
VM SCREEN.jpg (679.84 KiB) Viewed 2832 times
abarthur

Post by abarthur »

PS. Is there a way to see the BPMs of the presets in the VM plugins?
schoekah

Post by schoekah »

abarthur wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 3:16 pm PS. Is there a way to see the BPMs of the presets in the VM plugins?
Glad that's working for you!
unless there's cables running from the transport jacks in the VM i/o panel, they're probably getting their BPM from the rate dial of a sequencer. If there's multiple seq's, one seq is probably serving as a clock for other seq's and modules, its trig out to the ext clk of other sequencers.

Return to “Voltage Modular”