VM 2 issues. WAS: Voltage Modular 2.0 is here!

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
Koshdukai

VM 2 issues. WAS: Voltage Modular 2.0 is here!

Post by Koshdukai »

Without any MIDI input on DCO-60 and SynthVoice, how do I send 1 MIDI Channel to one and another MIDI Channel to the other ?

Honestly, I really don't get this whole "normalized signals to IO Panel" idea/concept on a modular synth.
Even complete synth "modules" need at a MIDI IN to it as much as you expect an AUDIO OUT of it (which these do have at least!)
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Re: Voltage Modular 2.0 is here!

Post by cherryaudio Greg »

Hi,

DC0-60 and Synthvoice are emulating analog synths, so they naturally don't have MIDI inputs.

If you don't like normalized IO, hooking it up the regular way will bypass that.

Here's one way to feed MIDI into them:

MIDI to DCO-60 and Synthvoice.
MIDI to DCO-60 and Synthvoice.
image (1).png (861.19 KiB) Viewed 4621 times

Greg
Koshdukai

Post by Koshdukai »

cherryaudio Greg wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 8:52 pm DC0-60 and Synthvoice are emulating analog synths, so they naturally don't have MIDI inputs.
I'm sorry, but that's a terribly strange affirmation. I guess I'll pretend that wasn't even said :)

cherryaudio Greg wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 8:52 pm Here's one way to feed MIDI into them:

image (1).png

Greg
Basically, there's the "what? way" versus the "hard(er) way", with no middle-ground and simple and natural (modern) way, through MIDI IN :)

ok, thank you.

PS: and no, I really don't see the point of the "normalized IO". It's extremely confusing on a modular environment. Why get rid of the a MIDI input on a complete Synth module? Doesn't make any sense. Imagine those complete synth modules in the picture above without MIDI IN? :)

Also, why even have MIDI on a modular environment if not to be used exactly with complete-synth modules?!?! That's exactly the killer-use-case for MIDI, besides all the other (bonus) interesting things one can do with MIDI<->CV conversion, filtering and processing.
Last edited by Koshdukai on Wed May 20, 2020 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Hi,

We didn't get rid of a MIDI input, because we are emulating analog synths. If the original synths were digital, then the modules might have MIDI In, just like the original synth. These are vintage synths.

That said, thanks for your feedback!

Greg
Koshdukai

Post by Koshdukai »

cherryaudio Greg wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 9:21 pm Hi,

We didn't get rid of a MIDI input, because we are emulating analog synths. If the original synths were digital, then the modules might have MIDI In, just like the original synth. These are vintage synths.

That said, thanks for your feedback!

Greg
Ok, that's an explanation though I would never choose "magic MIDI" versus a natural and expected proper MIDI input on a complete synth module. I'd accept it more easily (but still complain about it) if all we could have were CV inputs, but "magic MIDI" is weird. ...besides, the synths you are emulating had keyboard input (besides CV) so that usually turns into MIDI input nowadays, when in module/desktop form.
So... let's agree to disagree I guess :)

Anyway, my issue now is (which I had already, before making that question): Where do I find the "MIDI TO CV" and "MIDI TO POLY CV" modules? I've searched my own Modules list and the Store and can't find them.
I can find the "POLY MIDI IN" which I can use like a MIDI-to-POLY-CV module. Same with "MIDI IN" module, but I've looked precisely for those modules you ended up showing in the example patch and I can't find'em.

I'm a Voltage Modular Core + Electro Drums owner + the recently bought MS Vintage Bundle and Vintage Voice Bundle.

cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Hi,

Those modules are part of the Core bundle: https://store.cherryaudio.com/bundles/v ... ctro-drums

Greg
Koshdukai

Post by Koshdukai »

cherryaudio Greg wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 9:40 pm Hi,

Those modules are part of the Core bundle: https://store.cherryaudio.com/bundles/v ... ctro-drums

Greg
Thanks, then there's something really strange happening with my VM2.0 Library (which I've refreshed a few times already):
NoMIDItoCVmodules.PNG
NoMIDItoCVmodules.PNG (367.18 KiB) Viewed 4598 times
Koshdukai

Re: VM 2 issues. WAS: Voltage Modular 2.0 is here!

Post by Koshdukai »

Not sure if I should make a new topic for an issue with MIDI CHANNEL FILTER (I guess you'll split the thread if more convenient):

Found an issue while doing MIDI CHANNEL FILTER -> MIDI IN (don't have MIDI TO CV) -> SYNTHVOICE
where changing Active Channels while playing, it'll trigger a permanent GATE ON impossible to reset unless saving, NEW and loading the patch/cabinet.

Edit: apparently, sometimes this may happen even without touching the Channel filter selections. Just got this without touching them as I loaded the cabinet with that setup.
Cherry Garcia
Site Admin

Post by Cherry Garcia »

Sometimes modules get misplaced. (= These modules have been added to Voltage Modular Core. To get them simply reload Voltage Modular or hit refresh on your library.
:)
andro

Post by andro »

Without wanting to sound pedantic, the term is "normalled", not "normalised". Normalization would imply alteration of a signal to a normal value or distribution. Normalled means a default normal set of connections. not needing patch cables, as in many hardware synths. Knowing this, it's easier to understand the designs I think. CA does tends to be a little inconsistent with the terms, and this may confuse people.

I think it's a great featue, and as CA says, plugging in a cable overrides it, so what's not to like?

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/ar ... lf-nornal/

Return to “Voltage Modular”