Filter similar to mutable Instruments Ripples

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
rfj

Filter similar to mutable Instruments Ripples

Post by rfj »

This goes to the Cherry Audio developer team. It would be great to add a new filter module with a resonance similar to that in Mutable Instruments Ripples. Unlike most analog filters Mutable Ripples level doesn’t drop when resonance goes up. This is amazing for electro and techno basselines a la Kraftwerk style. Please guys, consider doing something about this. Thanks.
wavemechanic

Re: Filter similar to mutable Instruments Ripples

Post by wavemechanic »

I recently posted a request for ALL Mutable Instruments modules. These are open source and really kicked off the popularity of VCV, and of course Softube has some. They are certainly beloved modules, and I too would like to have them here.
andro

Post by andro »

Are they very good? That's a project I could take on. Looking for some substantial module ideas to code.

I'm not on the developer team. Don't forget Voltage Module Designer and the API is available to civilians.
rfj

Post by rfj »

I was blown away when heared Mutable Instruments Ripples. This filter has a resonance compensation circuit that avoids level drop when resonance goes up. This translates in a strong liquid resonance that almost no other filter can achieve. I also own Softube Modular and I love their versions of Braids and Rings. But you have to hear Mutable Ripples. Its a very special filter.
rfj

Post by rfj »

Past year I've purchased a Behringer Neutron semimodular analog synth. I'm considering purchase the Mutable Ripples hardware to use with the Neutron. Believe me, Mutable Ripples is so good I'm even considering buying the real thing. For those of you who love those liquid techno basslines and electro basslines Mutables Ripples is a must have. Check YouTube to hear Ripples in action. If you love techno and basslines you'll blown away.
terrymcg

Post by terrymcg »

The mutable modules are often requested, I'd love to see them too.

But the fact that source code for them is open source doesn't make the job of porting them to VM trivial.

On the other hand, the 'roll your own' nature of VM means anyone who wants them badly enough is free to take on the project ;)

Cheers,
--
Terry McG
wavemechanic

Post by wavemechanic »

The point here is that there is substantial demand. Any developer that meets the challenge is bound to hear people screaming, "Take my money!" Sounds like Ripples is the best place to start. I'm amazed VCV is growing so quickly. I can't use it, because I need direct DAW integration. Enter Voltage, thankfully. Softube's module development is slow as molasses... and pricey by comparison (though of course not to hardware).
MRBarton

Post by MRBarton »

[shameless plug]
If you want a filter whose level doesn't drop when resonance (Q) increases, try my Laboratory VCF.

https://store.cherryaudio.com/modules/laboratory-vcf

Whether in 12db or 24db/oct mode, the passband gain stays constant no matter what the Q. It is also capable of more Q than any filter in the store. Please read the description for more details. This filter is also featured in the 2 Laboratory Voice modules and are all part of the Laboratory Bundle. Try free for a week and find out. I am constantly adding modules to this bundle -- more coming very soon. Module count goes up, price doesn't.

Thanks.
rfj

Post by rfj »

MRB, I,ve got your Laboratory bundle but your filter don,t sound the same as Ripples. Please, check YouTube for the 3D concerts version of Kraftwerk’s Radioactivity and listen to the bassline in the second half of the song when rythmn goes faster. That kind of extremely liquid resonance with plenty of body it’s something I haven’t heard in the rest of filters yet. I bet Kraftwerk used Ripples in that tune. I’m no expert in electronics but I guess the secret sauce in Mutable Ripples is to combine no drop filter level with an extremely liquid resonance (no self oscillation) similar to that in the Roland TB 303. Please check Radioactivity and Mutable Ripples demos in Youtube and let us know your opinion as a developer. Thanks.
andro

Post by andro »

I will start to look into porting these across to VM. A very good project. Fully aware of non trivial nature of the task. I have been in software development for 40 years or so (not a typo) so I stand some small chance of getting this up. Maybe! :cry: I do not underestimate the effort.

Return to “Voltage Modular”