Filter similar to mutable Instruments Ripples

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
terrymcg

Re: Filter similar to mutable Instruments Ripples

Post by terrymcg »

andro wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 6:57 am I will start to look into porting these across to VM. A very good project. Fully aware of non trivial nature of the task. I have been in software development for 40 years or so (not a typo) so I stand some small chance of getting this up. Maybe! :cry: I do not underestimate the effort.
I have the Softube versions, and was initially keen to take a crack at them for VM, but after looking at the code for a while, I thought "life's too short" ;)

I would be willing to help though, if you do decide to take it on, and want some assistance (fwiw, I'm afraid I go back a similar distance).

There might be others (with more VM specific experience) willing to help as well - a group project maybe?

Cheers,
--
Terry McG
schoekah

Post by schoekah »

I wouldn't know a ripple from a plait, but this is interesting!
creepjoint

Post by creepjoint »

Ripples isnt a digital module so doesnt have code that can be 'ported' like most of the other MI modules.

Most decent modern hardware modular filter designs compensate for the drop you refer to.

If you want an amazing analog modelled filter I suggest checking out The Drop vst, which we can thankfully load in VM :)
It contains accurate models of 10 desirable/well known HP/LP filter designs and best of all it can be modulated at audio rate via its external side chain.
It has its own comprehensive modulation system as well. Can be configured as seriel or parallel.
It includes lovely drive too, which some like to use without thye filters engaged.

Its the closest you can get to a physical analog filter.

Andrew Simper is the Daddy of quality circuit modelled analog filters. Part of his development process it to build the physical filters for analysis.

Youll regret not trying the demo
https://cytomic.com/drop

If anything we should be begging him to port these to VM
rfj

Post by rfj »

creepjoint wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 1:52 pm Ripples isnt a digital module so doesnt have code that can be 'ported' like most of the other MI modules.

Most decent modern hardware modular filter designs compensate for the drop you refer to.

I see. But the thing with Mutable Ripples is not just about loudness compensation when resonance goes up. Listen to demos of Mutable Ripples and the bassline in 3D concerts version of Kraftwerk's radioactivity in YouTube. Is that liquid and round resonance with plenty of body what I'm speaking of. That kind of liquid resonance with an almost plastic quality that's not achieved with any other analog filter. I don't know exactly what is what Ripples does but I haven't heard that kind of round liquid resonance in any other filter yet.
sdv

Post by sdv »

I brought up the topic of Mutable plugs on the Facebook forum and the general consensus there was that converting C++ code to Java was no easy task. It's too bad bc they have an interesting ethos around module design, as do many developers for VCV, which I'd like to see picked up by VM devs.
andro

Post by andro »

C++ to Java is not easy or automatic, but it's not impossible. You just need to be pretty experienced with both languages. As mentioned, I will take a serious look at this.
wavemechanic

Post by wavemechanic »

I wish that replies had likes or upvotes. I would have upvoted every comment on this thread. :) It's interesting to read, and it's nice to see dev interest, despite the challenges.
creepjoint

Post by creepjoint »

rfj wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 1:59 pm
creepjoint wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 1:52 pm Ripples isnt a digital module so doesnt have code that can be 'ported' like most of the other MI modules.

I see. But the thing with Mutable Ripples is not just about loudness compensation when resonance goes up. Listen to demos of Mutable Ripples and the bassline in 3D concerts version of Kraftwerk's radioactivity in YouTube. Is that liquid and round resonance with plenty of body what I'm speaking of. That kind of liquid resonance with an almost plastic quality that's not achieved with any other analog filter. I don't know exactly what is what Ripples does but I haven't heard that kind of round liquid resonance in any other filter yet.
I did check out the Kraftwerk tune you referenced. Couldnt hear anything special in the bassline. Lots of fun filter stuff in other elements though. The bassline IMO was the most middle of the road sound. The bassline would most probably have had post processing as well, so youre not hearing the out of the box sound.
rfj

Post by rfj »

creepjoint wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 11:37 pm
rfj wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 1:59 pm

I did check out the Kraftwerk tune you referenced. Couldnt hear anything special in the bassline. Lots of fun filter stuff in other elements though. The bassline IMO was the most middle of the road sound. The bassline would most probably have had post processing as well, so youre not hearing the out of the box sound.
The thing about the bassline in the second half of Radioactivity is that it sounds very similar to the demos ofMutables Ripples. Check this youtube demo from the minute 6 till the end.

https://youtu.be/g8Pt2uEhD5s

You’ll hear that round liquid resonance that also is in Kraftwerk’s bassline. Is THAT kind of round liquid resonance with plenty of presenca that I haven’t heard in other filters. This is strong liquid resonance is what makes Ripples a very special and dinstictive filter. 50% of the potential and character of analog synthesis relies on filters. It would be great to have this filter or a similar sounding one in VM.
HowlingMod

Post by HowlingMod »

didn't know of this filter, at the mutable instruments site it states:

"the resonance loudness compensation circuit brings a slight tone coloration reminiscent of the Roland SH/Jupiter filters, with a very round and “liquid” resonance."

the DCO-60 is a juno-106 emulation.
i have also the jup-8 V3, tends to be more to the ripples functionality.

they are different ripples and the roland filter me thinks.

EDIT: the jup-8 V3 seems to have kraftwerk bass presets.. (i use the thing, but make my own presets, never really played a lot of presets, for fun, nice preset.) but this won't help you, i don't have the time now, to a/b them with the reference you suggested. but it has that resonance, the jup-8 v3.

perhaps try the DCO-60 VCF? didn't try it yet. it seems another filter, 24 dB, 4 pole.

never knew the difference between the jupiters and juno's....

EDIT: perhaps this means cherry audio can make a jupiter style VCF?

perhaps there is a VST around. the drop has: Cascade circuit topology, IR3109 OTA core, P-MOS buffers, OTA to limit resonance (eg JP8 / Juno 6)
and Cascade circuit topology, IR3109 OTA core, P-MOS buffers, hard diode clipper to limit resonance (eg SH2 SH101).
i always look at filter designs, but i forget them within a day....

but if the filter of the juno 6 is based on the jupiter 8, perhaps??

EDIT 2: vcv rack isn't that also java based, i mean the modules? another SDK of course.

EDIT 3: https://tal-software.com/products/tal-filter

use it in the plugin host, that's why i have some fiter vst effects.. never tried this one.
Ryzen 9 5900X, 32 gb, gtx 1060 6gb, win 10 pro. voltage modular core; psp ultimate, andrew macaulay ultimate, ben davis complete, MRB, Vult, Weevil, one & two year bundle etc. (910+ modules)

https://soundcloud.com/sada-exposada

Return to “Voltage Modular”