Voltage Modular 2.0 is here!

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
Cherry Garcia
Site Admin

Re: Voltage Modular 2.0 is here!

Post by Cherry Garcia »

The next update has some cpu improvements. Also, make sure your laptop is plugged in for best performance.
CairnsMuso

Post by CairnsMuso »

schoekah wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 6:54 pm It's pretty usable to me. VM v1 sure was amazing for CPU efficiency though.
My apologies if it seemed I was suggesting VM2.0 was unusable for everyone, as this wasn't my intention. Just pointing out my own experience.
cherryaudio Greg wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 3:09 pm
Windows or Mac? Test it out again today. There may be increased CPU usage initially because VM 2.0 needs to download the new modules, art, presets and so on. If this is going on in the background, you'll have higher CPU, and depending on download speeds (and how busy the server was), it could take a while.

If the problem persists after all the good stuff has been downloaded, try this: go into CPU settings and see if OpenGL is enabled. If it is, try turning it off and see if that helps. You can also try toggling the multi-thread option. Turning it off might help on some computers, and turning it on might help with others.

If those things don't help, we'll need to drill down further and get more specifics.

Greg
Thanks for the response.

Unfortunately I had tried all of your suggestions. That said, whilst my attempts were over the course of the day, I did not 'explicitly' check to ensure VM was not still updating, so I will look at that aspect again today.

I note that CPU enhancements are already on the cards, so I may as well wait for those before I comment further as I am sure you have plenty else on your plate. (hoping the next update is not too far away though.)

Thanks Again.
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Post by cherryaudio Greg »

Hi,

An update is coming real soon, so we'll see what happens.

We found ways to optimize the DCO-60 and Synthvoice modules, plus some other optimizations for Voltage Modular itself.

Greg
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

How soon is now?
sksherman

Post by sksherman »

FWIW, once it settles, it seems to work well without stutters. No stutters today.

Might it be feasible to get a stutter indicator? Maybe another indicator could indicate Voltage Modular is doing background activity. And, maybe there could be a performance priority setting to suspend background or other activity that could interfere with performance?

None of these are blockers. Version 2 is spectacular!

Thanks! :)

Steve
Cherry Dan
Site Admin

Post by Cherry Dan »

All,

We've just published Voltage Modular 2.0.15, which fixes these issues:

* Fixed Mac installer issues
* Fixed CPU performance issues
* Fixed DCO-60 CPU issues
* Fixed crash with Module tab's List View mode
* Changed Show/Hide cables shortcut to Cmd-D (Mac) / Ctrl-D (Win)
* Add a blank cabinet with Cmd-B (Mac) / Ctrl-B (Win)
* Right-click "add module" category list now correct

Visit your library, or the download page, to download it now: https://cherryaudio.com/voltage-modular/download

We sincerely apologize for the Mac installer issues many people faced with Tuesday's release.

- Dan @ Cherry Audio
schoekah

Post by schoekah »

sksherman wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 10:11 pm Might it be feasible to get a stutter indicator? Maybe another indicator could indicate Voltage Modular is doing background activity. And, maybe there could be a performance priority setting to suspend background or other activity that could interfere with performance?
- I haven't used these features in a while, but in Windows Task Manager/more details/details page, you can set priority for different applications by right-clicking on the process. I'd spend 20 minutes [edit] googling more about that to refresh my memory before using it.
- Windows task manager/more details/performance will show you CPU - there's also a link to open Resource Monitor, which to give a better picture of CPU usage - TM said I was at 93% CPU, while RM told me I was at 110%, which explained the stuttering that I was getting on my really terrible laptop.
- TM/processes will tell you background activities and how much RAM/CPU they're using
I leave task manager open when my computer's on (it has an 'always on top" feature and a small UI if you double click in the perf tab, so you can always see it)
Last edited by schoekah on Fri May 22, 2020 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
ksniod

Post by ksniod »

Was able to install thanks to the latest update, great!
Edit - Got troubles again :
Impossible to load the vst in Reason and Bitwig (didn't test Live).
Checked the vst folders (2 and 3, MacOS Mojave) and it seems the update (made from the standalone) didn't change the files (old .vst files).
Deleted them manually and downloaded the .pkg from the site (had to do it twice, the download stopped the first time).
Installed without problem (new vst2, vst3 and au correctly installed) but :
- Reason (vst2 only) and Bitwig (vst2 + vst3 only) can't load the plugins (synth or fx) and display errors
- Live can't load vst2 nor vst3 but au is fine
- Bidule can't load vst2 but loads vst3 and au
- Logic validated the au without problem and no problem using it (au only)
Last edited by ksniod on Fri May 22, 2020 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
CairnsMuso

Post by CairnsMuso »

Cherry Dan wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 10:22 pm
* Fixed CPU performance issues
There is a brave man.

No "improvements to" or "some CPU enhancements", just straight in there with a "FIXED" :lol: I like your style.
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Hi,

I saw a huge improvement with the DCO-60. Give it a try and let us know what you find.

Greg

Return to “Voltage Modular”