Voltage Modular 2.0 is here!

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
schoekah

Re: Voltage Modular 2.0 is here!

Post by schoekah »

the core [edit: should have said year1] bundle doesn't say that it has bundles in it - it says that it has a bunch of modules that are also in a bundle sold separately from core [year1]. Us folks that bought core [year1] don't have the bundle. we just got some different free stuff, just not all the free stuff. it's like someone gave us a horse, as a gift, and we're going to take it to the dentist first, before we decide to accept it or not. free horse, man. .. go for a ride. . . giddy up . . .less with the neigh saying. .. .

(CairnsMuso - your response reveals you are a gentleman/woman, good sir or madam)
Last edited by schoekah on Mon May 25, 2020 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CairnsMuso

Post by CairnsMuso »

schoekah wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 5:45 am the core bundle doesn't say that it has bundles in it - it says that it has a bunch of modules that are also in a bundle sold separately from core. Us folks that bought core don't have the bundle. we just got some different free stuff, just not all the free stuff. it's like someone gave us a horse, as a gift, and we're going to take it to the dentist first, before we decide to accept it or not. free horse, man. .. go for a ride. . . giddy up . . .less with the neigh saying. .. .
OK. Well that is absolutely my mistake then, as I took an earlier post that implied otherwise rather too literally.

. "I have the MS Vintage Bundle as part of the year one collection"

That read to me as though... well as though the "MS Vintage Bundle" was part of the Year One Collection. But fair call, I apologise.

I'll add a note to my previous post. And once again apologise for my hasty and un-researched comment.
Kozzerog

Post by Kozzerog »

cherryaudio Greg wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 9:26 pm
mausglider wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 11:49 pm Hi Greg,

I tried the new version 2.0.15 but unfortunately VM is unusable for me (very sad). I'm not complaining but CPU use is too high compared with the 1.3.16, uninstalled and reverted to the old version. I know very well that I should change PC (Windows) but at the moment it is not possible.

I'd just like to ask if the modules on store before version 2.0 will all be replaced, in other words, if I stay with the old version, that is fine, I will no longer be able to buy anything...
I own the Voltage Modular Core + Electro Drums, luckily with several modules.
Thank you for your time
Hi,

If you use version 1, you won't be able to use new 2.0 modules - like the Vector modules, for example.

We're working to improve the CPU usage in VM 2.0.15, but it would help to know specifically what's going on. Another user mentions that he's seeing problems when he has a lot of poly voices in the Airwave module. Reducing the number of voices helps with the CPU. This gives the software developers something specific to look at that they can try to optimize.

Do you notice any patterns? Do some presets use a bunch of CPU while others don't? What's different about those presets?

Also, you may be able to improve the performance of VM 2.0 by tweaking CPU preferences in Voltage Modular's CPU settings.

Greg
I use a Ryzen 2500U laptop (8GB RAM, Win10) - not super powerful of course, but now with the Version 2.0 update, Voltage Modular is the only synth I have performance issues with. To compare, I can use ten or more instances of complex Arturia Pigments 2 sequence patches with my CPU usage barely exceeding 50%.

It has become basically impossible for me to playback any sequence presets in VM now. The CPU meter in FL Studio hits 99% and I get severe audio stuttering. Same thing happens in REAPER, although REAPER's CPU meter only displays 15% CPU usage. This was not a problem at all with VM 1.XX. Even some really simple polyphonic user presets consisting of one oscillator, one envelope controller and one amplifier now eat 50% of my CPU. This was definitely not the case before. Hope the weak Ryzen performance will be addressed asap. I wasn't very happy with the VM 1.XX performance on my machine already but it remained largely usable. Now VM has actually become unsusable for me in most cases as I am really not into the bounce-in-place workflow. Of course it's awesome that we get such an expansive free update, I just cannot enjoy it at this moment.
honki-bobo

Post by honki-bobo »

My VM standalone just downloaded Voltage-Modular-Installer-x64-2.0.15.exe and I've noticed that this installer is about 70MB smaller than the installer for V2.0.13 and about 60MB smaller than V1.3.15. Is this intended? And if so, where did the 70 MB go?
According to Windows' CertUtil the MD5 checksum is 47ad034c8ca8d0a7ec8fe8f3be4b1411 and the SHA-1 checksum is ee977eba2427e8c89158e7c4eb7b4474109df0f5. Can somebody else confirm this?
Monkey Business Audio
Modules - Music - Twitter - YouTube
martb

Post by martb »

cherryaudio Greg wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 9:17 pm
martb wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 4:29 pm I have the MS Vintage Bundle as part of the year one collection but the poly modules don't appear to be included. Is that correct or an oversight?
Hi,

I believe Year One bundle owners would get a discounted price (less than the current sales price). Check it out: https://store.cherryaudio.com/bundles/ms-vintage-bundle
I'm seeing it at $19 - I think that is the current sale price for everyone.
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Post by cherryaudio Greg »

CairnsMuso wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 4:58 am EDIT: My post below incorrectly assumed the MS Vintage Bundle was part of the year one collection. This is NOT the case. Please ignore.

cherryaudio Greg wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 9:17 pm I believe Year One bundle owners would get a discounted price (less than the current sales price). Check it out: https://store.cherryaudio.com/bundles/ms-vintage-bundle

This is interesting.

If you own a bundle you get any updates free, but if you own a bundle that is included in another bundle/collection, then the updates are 'paid'?.

I must confess, whilst I do agree that VM bundle prices seem pretty damn good, I wouldn't have assumed this to be the case. I am still on core+drums (for full disclosure) but It certainly would dissuade me from buying any larger bundles in the future. I'd just stick to the smaller bundles that focus upon my preferences so that I - hopefully - didn't miss out on any future enhancements to that package.
HI,

This Year One Bundle / MS Vintage Bundle is sort of a special case. The Year One bundle was a special celebration of the modules we released in the first year of Voltage Modular. We weren't planning on adding every additional module related to those year one modules to that bundle.

Did you know we added free new modules to the Core bundle with this update? Those are as follows:

Poly Vintage Oscillator
Poly Ladder Filter
Poly Super Oscillator
Poly Super Envelope Generator
Spectrum Analyzer
MIDI File Player
Micro Mult

Greg
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

martb wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 9:02 am I'm seeing it at $19 - I think that is the current sale price for everyone.
HI,

Give it another try. It should be fixed now. The sale price was overriding the upgrade price.

https://store.cherryaudio.com/bundles/ms-vintage-bundle

Year One bundle owners should see the price as $10.

Greg
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

honki-bobo wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 7:56 am My VM standalone just downloaded Voltage-Modular-Installer-x64-2.0.15.exe and I've noticed that this installer is about 70MB smaller than the installer for V2.0.13 and about 60MB smaller than V1.3.15. Is this intended? And if so, where did the 70 MB go?
According to Windows' CertUtil the MD5 checksum is 47ad034c8ca8d0a7ec8fe8f3be4b1411 and the SHA-1 checksum is ee977eba2427e8c89158e7c4eb7b4474109df0f5. Can somebody else confirm this?
Hi,

Yes, the download sizes are definitely smaller for both Mac and Windows. The devs realized we were including some extra java elements that weren't needed for Voltage Modular. Probably while going through and looking for optimizations.

Greg
cherryaudio Greg
Site Admin

Kozzerog wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 7:17 am I use a Ryzen 2500U laptop (8GB RAM, Win10) - not super powerful of course, but now with the Version 2.0 update, Voltage Modular is the only synth I have performance issues with. To compare, I can use ten or more instances of complex Arturia Pigments 2 sequence patches with my CPU usage barely exceeding 50%.

It has become basically impossible for me to playback any sequence presets in VM now. The CPU meter in FL Studio hits 99% and I get severe audio stuttering. Same thing happens in REAPER, although REAPER's CPU meter only displays 15% CPU usage. This was not a problem at all with VM 1.XX. Even some really simple polyphonic user presets consisting of one oscillator, one envelope controller and one amplifier now eat 50% of my CPU. This was definitely not the case before. Hope the weak Ryzen performance will be addressed asap. I wasn't very happy with the VM 1.XX performance on my machine already but it remained largely usable. Now VM has actually become unsusable for me in most cases as I am really not into the bounce-in-place workflow. Of course it's awesome that we get such an expansive free update, I just cannot enjoy it at this moment.
Hi,

I'm told the next update will have some additional tweaks that should help. The software devs apparently found some really good CPU optimizations that will make a difference.

Greg
dave dove

Post by dave dove »

cherry audio Greg - We're working to improve the CPU usage in VM 2.0.15, but it would help to know specifically what's going on. Another user mentions that he's seeing problems when he has a lot of poly voices in the Airwave module. Reducing the number of voices helps with the CPU. This gives the software developers something specific to look at that they can try to optimize.

Do you notice any patterns? Do some presets use a bunch of CPU while others don't? What's different about those presets?

Also, you may be able to improve the performance of VM 2.0 by tweaking CPU preferences in Voltage Modular's CPU settings.
I have posted this and sent to support but I've now tried the poly voices thing:
I have mid 2012 mbp 13" basic one but SSD and 10gb RAM
I use VM mostly monophonically because that's how I like to work - not really interested in polyphonic synths:
2 vco, vcf, vca, 6 in mixer +adsr
VM1 uses @10-12% on Live's cpu meter
VM2 uses 21-25%
that's double
I have reduced poly voices (even though is monophonic) - no change
I have done the cpu page stuff - no change
I've deleted + reinstalled etc. - no change

I'm not stressed about it
just trying to paint a clear picture
I've just reinstalled VM1 and I'll defer buying any other modules for a while

Dave
K-Teck: Colouring with Numbers: M4L and Reaktor devices...
http://k-teck.co.uk/

Return to “Voltage Modular”