How-To / Possible Feature: Reordering Modules and Ins/Outs

For discussion of the Voltage Modular synthesis ecosystem.
robgray

How-To / Possible Feature: Reordering Modules and Ins/Outs

Post by robgray »

Hi all!

I have been using a lot of Voltage Modular on my current projects and I often find myself looking for a way to quickly reorder modules I'm using as effects on the main outs of my synth I created. Say, putting my PSP Chorus before my PSP Space module.

Right now I do this by moving grabbing the patch cables one at a time and re-ordering them. For stereo applications that's about 8 drag and drop operations. Is there a more streamlined way to do this?

If there isn't, I haven't dived into the Module Designer yet but perhaps this could be done by allowing Designers to mark a single or pair of patchs as "Main Inputs" or "Main Outputs" to support replacing or reordering modules while keeping the connections intact.
nekomatic

Re: How-To / Possible Feature: Reordering Modules and Ins/Outs

Post by nekomatic »

I dont think a concept of a 'Main' input or output makes much sense here. Pretty much every input and output has an important role regardless of if its an audio, control voltage, MIDI or something else... It will be rather hard to come up with any kind of 'connection iportance' policy which will make everybody happy :D
robgray

Re: How-To / Possible Feature: Reordering Modules and Ins/Outs

Post by robgray »

1) I'm envisioning this behavior as optional, at the module developer's discretion.

2) Perhaps it wouldn't be a useful concept for Clock Dividers and Attenuverters, but I have more than a dozen effects modules that would benefit greatly from a feature like this, and the idea of "which pairs to pick" would be totally straightforward. The entire PSP effects series has a L/R in and a L/R out.

Return to “Voltage Modular”